Brush hog season

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

tarantilla

Brush hog season

Post by tarantilla »

The tall grass roadside suggests Brush hog day is not far off. Today the Charlevoix road commission truck driver, seeing me on the side of the road, stopped to talk. He inquired about the destruction of expensive trees and bushes last year roadside by my property. He was irritated that I mght plant such things between the "ditch line" and the road, and as well at the pile of sticks and logs there was well. He impatiently then physically ran to the ditch line to make me aware of it's presence, about 20 feet from the road. I did not disagree with him but wondered aloud why other roadside properties had shrubs and trees growing within 2 to 4 feet of the road. He lamented this fact, saying such trees prevented him from brush cutting at the proper distance. He advised,"I built this road", and "I've lived here 42 years" and has to do what his boss says. The "boss" remained nameless when questioned. I advised he might get a chain saw to clear the roadside trees all along South End Road to ease job frustration and to return South End Road to it's former glory.
So I've taken some pictures of my roadside property to provide before and after brush hog visit photos. I can only hope the brush hog driver will appreciated the blooming lilacs, red pines, and other items growing beside the road. Such plantings of shrubs and trees beautify the road, provide shade, and diminish dust and road repairs. Exterminating roadside beautification in an attempt to return the road to it's originally state does not make Beaver Island great again.
tarantilla