PLEASE STOP !!!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Bob Sramek

PLEASE STOP !!!

Post by Bob Sramek »

Whoever is taking the Showy Lady Slipper Orchids......
PLEASE STOP

It seems hard to believe that someone would be so selfish and rude / ignorant to try to take these rare orchids for themselves. They should be shared so ALL may enjoy their beauty.

I have posted this on Facebook as well as on here last year.
What will it take for people to STOP?
PLEASE enjoy them but DO NOT try to transplant them or disturb them. The Showy Lady Slipper is a rare orchid that is very site specific. If you try to transplant them.....you will kill them! PLEASE respect them.

The Showy Lady's-slipper (Cypripedium reginae), also known as the Pink-and-white Lady's-slipper or the Queen's Lady's-slipper, is a rare, terrestrial, temperate, lady's-slipper orchid native to northern North America.

Despite producing a large amount of seeds per seed pod, it reproduces largely by vegetative reproduction, and remains restricted to the North East region of the United States and south east regions of Canada. Although never common, this rare plant has vanished from much of its historical range due to habitat loss. It has been a subject of horticultural interest for many years with Charles Darwin who like many, were unsuccessful in cultivating the plant.

It is the state flower of Minnesota, United States, and was the provincial flower of the province of Prince Edward Island, Canada.

Cypripedium reginae is quite rare, and is considered imperiled or critically imperiled.

Cypripedium reginae grows in wetlands such as fens and open wooded swamps that are sometimes populated by tamarack and black spruce.[7] Cyp. reginae thrives in neutral to basic soils but can be found in slightly acidic conditions. The plants often form in clumps by branching of the underground rhizomes. Its roots are typically within a few inches of the top of the soil. It prefers very loose soils and when growing in fens it will most often be found in mossy hummocks.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Bob,
perhaps they re disappearing because they go really well with fried onions....
8)
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
AEW

Post by AEW »

John Bolton they are delicious especially with a side of loon eggs and broiled piping plovers.

So damn tasty!
AE Wirth
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Flowers

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

Adam, how do you preserve the breast meat? Every time I shoot one with the .308 all I can find is a bit of the beak and a bunch of feathers.
Jim Campbell
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Flowers

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

Adam, how do you preserve the breast meat? Every time I shoot one with the .308 all I can find is a bit of the beak and a bunch of feathers.
Jim Campbell
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

NOW CALM DOWN BOYS!!
First, I want to say that I was making a joke, yes, admittedly a bit at Bob's expense, however, I will state right now that Bob is 100% right on about the needless and selfish destruction of the Showy Lady Slippers.

On the other hand, you guys out there on the lunatic fringe of the Brotherhood of the Island West Side will end up having the DNR, U.S. Fish & Game, EPA and the producers of Boonies over here searching for the Wild Men of Beaver Island.

They are watching and listening you know, so don't lose those tin foil hats... 8)
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
hannahconnor39

Post by hannahconnor39 »

As wild flowers it is also illegal to pick them and would result in a huge fine.
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

I found the signs that I will be posting by the orchids next year....see the link below......LOL

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater