Moving to Beaver Island?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

D-Family

Moving to Beaver Island?

Post by D-Family »

Hello all, first post here. My wife and I, both Michigan residents, are coming back home. We have been away (living in a small town in Wyoming of 25 people) for over a dozen years and are bringing our kids home to Michigan.

After much research, Beaver Island is now in our Top 5 of places to settle. We love small towns, good schools (our children get top grades) and good winters, along with low/zero crime, space, and peace. Our families are all in Michigan so it's time for our children to see them more often.

We are looking at real estate, but we can't seem to find much outside seasonal jobs in the area. I am self employed (web design and online media) as well as a local contractor out here repairing everything from boats to coal mine Haul trucks.

My wife works as a cook at our local elementary school, and was hoping to find a similar job in the community.

Not much of a singular question here, but what does the workforce look like? Is my research correct on lack of crime? Are the schools really one of the best in Michigan? And is there room for more families to move in economic wise?

Thank you, and please feel free to contact me any time.
VickyF

Job's on Beaver Island

Post by VickyF »

HI,

Please call me at the Beaver Island Lodge 231-448-2396 regarding a job cooking.

Thanks

Vicky Fingeroot
448-2396
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Hi,

I would be pleased to help. Office contact info below. Best wishes and welcome from Beaver Island.

Steve West

:D
Last edited by Chamber of Commerce on Fri May 05, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
Mojave Bob

Post by Mojave Bob »

D-Family --

For the past several years, my wife and I have made Beaver Island our go-to getaway place, for many of the reasons you cite. We don't live there (yet), but we have a place, and come when we can.

Beaver Island won us by the people there and the atmosphere they create. It is a place where strangers engage you in conversation. Where neighbors rise up to help neighbors. Where most doors are unlocked, and vehicles are freely loaned. On our first visit to the island, we came for one week, and in that time we were invited to two homes for dinner, one for dessert, and onto one porch for lemonade. How can you not love this place!?

The island has an active culture and arts community, with some excellent music, drama, creative art, and other opportunities. There is a real pride in the school and in the kids it serves. The school is the life-blood of any small secluded town, and they know this, and it shows. It is normal to see teenagers chatting with seniors at Daddy Franks.

The vast majority of the economy is seasonal. But, there is a vibrant (if small) year-round community, and if you are a turn-your-hand-to-it person, which it sounds like you are, you will find some work that would benefit the island year-round.

We hope to see you on Beaver Island!
Hoverguard

Post by Hoverguard »

Hi
Please contact me... 6 acres 1 block off of the main street in town north side. Mobile home, 40x40 garage,well, septic zoned commercial...mostly still wooded.

Gordon 231-448-2438
debrob2

Considering a move to BI

Post by debrob2 »

So happy to hear you are considering a move to Beaver Island. I am a life-long resident of Beaver Island, a teacher at Beaver Island Community School and have raised three children here. I would be happy to chat with you or your family about this if you have any questions.

Call or text me at 231 675 7155 or email me at: debbier@beaverisland.k12.mi.us
VickyF

D Family

Post by VickyF »

Contact me at the Lodge regarding work and other questions about the Island.

Vicky Fingeroot
231-448-2396
cell 248-755-7957
home 231-448-2265