In-Coming Birds

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

In-Coming Birds

Post by Pam Grassmick »

We've had fun in the past with posting recent bird sightings during spring migration. In the past few weeks, the Sand-hill Cranes, Kestrels, Eastern Meadowlarks, Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Brown-headed Cowbirds have appeared. Kestrel nesting boxes at Little Sand Bay and Barney's Lake have been cleaned and readied for occupancy. The Redheads dominated the harbor ducks this winter but Common Goldeneyes, Buffleheads, Hooded and Common Mergansers are present. Naturally, the Bald Eagles are a treat at all stages of development. This morning, I had a great look at a Ruby-crowned Kinglet foraging along the east side shoreline.

Keep those sightings coming and have fun! Each morning brings new songs!
McGrass
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Have BI bird watchers given consideration to joining the Citizen Science Program to monitor environmental impact on birds and thereby all life on earth? With current cutbacks on federal protection agencies, it might be something to consider or reconsider.
Kirk
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Thanks for the suggestion, Kirk. It would be good to tie in some bird surveys to habitat management work. I'll discuss this with the birding experts. Nancy Seefelt is coming this week to place the acoustical monitors along with ultrasonic monitors for bats. Some may know this but I learned that many songbirds migrate at night for safety. Woodcock do this. These sensors will pick up the species that flew by at night as the birds/bats make little chipping sounds in flight. It is then fed into computer software and it identifies the bird traveling overhead. Nancy has great radar images of spring migration and the pulses of birds that appear traveling to the islands. She is scheduled to do a mist net demonstration over the Warblers on the Water Memorial Weekend events.

Two Woodcock kicked up at Cable's Bay and one was run over on Enoch Hill recently. I saw 4 Flickers at Gull Harbor this morning along with Red-wing Blackbirds and the eagle. Brown Creepers have shown up and are spiraling up and down mature oaks and maples. I have 5 that I am watching on an old maple as I write this. Also had a flock of Golden-crowned Kinglets all afternoon yesterday working the woods. Two Sandhill Cranes in Anthony Greene's field today.

Keep looking up and sideways!
McGrass
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Good to hear the fly way skies are full, day and night. Unbelievable how far bird spotting technology has come with sonic and audible night vision. Thanks so much for all you do in promoting birding and other ecological efforts on Beaver Island. It is recognized and appreciated by many and more importantly will be for the generations who follow.

Slangevar - Kirk
Kirk
Pam Grassmick

Birds

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Jacque LaFreniere reports that loons are on Lake G., Font, and Fox.

Dark-eyed Juncos, Purple Finches mixed in with a flock of Am. Goldfinches, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, and the Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers sighted today.
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Birds

Post by Pam Grassmick »

I woke up this morning to a Belted Kingfisher on the deck railing and more Am.Tree Sparrows and Yellow-rumped Warblers seen. Loons heard calling from Lake Michigan. During a walk along the east side, I saw my first Double-crested Cormorant, Mute Swan, and a pair of Am. Wigeons. Also noted was an Eastern Phoebe busy doing its flycatcher activity and Eastern Wood-Pewees heard. I took a decent photo of a Merlin also birding.

Great weather to get outside and enjoy the spring! :shock:
Pam Grassmick

Birds

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Osprey sighted at Green's Lake yesterday and two Northern Harriers + 4 Snipes at Gull Harbor this a.m.
McGrass
medic5740

Ospreys on the nest

Post by medic5740 »

Yesterday, I got some pictures and video of the osprey pair on the microwave tower as they were preparing the nest.

Joe Moore
Avandyke

Post by Avandyke »

Pam, my parents and I were wondering if any snow owls were on the island this winter. Last year we saw a snow owl on several occasions, but this year nothing. Eagles galore, but no snow owl. Wondered if there were none, or if we just never were in the right place at the right time.
Pam Grassmick

Owls

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Hi Audrey,

While the mainland did see a few Snowy Owls, the eruptions were not as prominent as other years. The Upper Peninsula, Cheboygan, and Grand Traverse had a few reported. No one reported seeing any Snowy Owls this year on the island. I follow a website that does weekly posts which I will pass along for your use next fall.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

In addition to the Beaver Island Birding Trail advertisement, this site may be of interest to others interested in the bird world.

http://www.birdingwire.com
Pam Grassmick

Birds

Post by Pam Grassmick »

One Snowy Owl to report from last winter-Tony and Ann did see a Snowy Owl at the end of the township airport! Yesterday, Bluebirds were checking out the Kestrel box at LSB and a Northern Harrier was working the surrounding fields. Two Caspian Terns were on the Charlevoix Airport runway and should be soon headed to their preferred destination-the Beaver Isles. Red-eyed Vireos are back too!
McGrass
robertg

Post by robertg »

3 Sandhill Cranes in flight, and in full voice, about 3/4 mile NE of Miller's Marsh Saturday afternoon (Don't ask; I was lost). :oops:
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher
anniep

Post by anniep »

Great Blue Heron (I believe) on Sand Bay at Jordan River...welcome back!
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Great to hear the Great Blue Herons are back. Joe Moore had a photo on his web site but I have not seen one this spring. Caspian Terns seen yesterday and Brown Thrashers have returned to Little Sand Bay. The woods are coming alive with song!
McGrass