Northern Lights

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Frank Solle

Northern Lights

Post by Frank Solle »

The lights are coming! Maybe. Could be. Perhaps. It's hit and miss at best. But things are looking very promising for tomorrow (3.28) night from 9pm until early Wed. morning, which is about as good a forecast as there is given all the variables involved. All you need is a dark area with a clear view to the north, a good dose of patience, and a little luck.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Open invitation to come see the spectacular light display free from light pollution. Join me over on Whiskey Island. Bring rum, it makes the lights more vivid. :shock: :roll: 8) :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Thanks for the late night "heads up" Frank. We look forward to featuring more like this ..............

https://www.facebook.com/beaverisland/p ... =3&theater

:D
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Hey Chamber Guy, What about a shout out for my invite to Whiskey Island for the northern lights? We can all get lit and enjoy the light show.8) :P :lol:
Skull&CrossBones
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

Oh, the fickle fates of the night skies. Maybe the lights were better on Whiskey Island than here, but given the early fog that not-so-conveniently showed up last night, I have my doubts. At least here there's no need to drive 5-6 hours, or more, as many in Detroit and Chicago were doing yesterday in hopes of finding a great display. But, again, that's the nature of this game. There were some pale pillars visible with the eye last night around 10pm, but nothing more than that - one of the head honchos at the Great Lakes Aurora Hunters Facebook page reported more activity near Copper Harbor around 3am, so good for him. The camera, fortunately, has greater sensitive to the light than the eye, and with the correct settings more can be discovered in the vast darkness of space. I've just begun downloading images and hope to have something posted later this morning on my StillPoint Photography Facebook page.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Frank, Good that no one came over last night. It was a Scooby-Do night here. It would have taken all the rum I have to imagine seeing northern lights last night. But, have seen that happen before. :oops: :( :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Frank got a GREAT one.
https://www.facebook.com/beaverisland

&

www.beaverisland.org

Perhaps the pirate will share some Whiskey Island shots.

:D
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
duffer

lights

Post by duffer »

it is a funny thing to try and catch set my clock slept in bed to see out side, got up many times, and well I had fun! but no lights!
duffy