Beaver Island Internet Access Survey

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BeaverIslandAssociation

Beaver Island Internet Access Survey

Post by BeaverIslandAssociation »

The Beaver Island Association is working to improve Internet service on the Island. As part of this project, we ask all residents and visitors to complete this short survey on use of Internet while on Beaver Island. The results, posted at the conclusion of the survey, will be used to guide next steps in the project, grant applications, potential partnerships, and so forth.

It will take less than 5 minutes of your time. We greatly appreciate your input.

Board of Directors

Beaver Island Association

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... Q/viewform
The Beaver Island Association
P.O. Box 390
Beaver Island, MI 49782

beaverislandassociation@gmail.com
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Important!
Pam Grassmick

Internet Survey

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Bump!
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Madeline Island Internet Service

Post by Pam Grassmick »

An interesting article related to high speed on Madeline Island.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#sent/156bd955c0c95d70
duffer

well

Post by duffer »

well It is slow here,,,,, when it got busy on the island this summer the amount of people using it clogs the line of communication! my good mac computer slowed right down to a crawl,,,, !
duffy
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

I have not had any issues with the current TDS internet service this summer. I rely on it daily for working remotely from my laptop that requires 100% constant internet connection & speed. In addition, there are 2 other laptops and 4 smart phones connected to it at the same time.

If you are having troubles from a home based laptop using wifi, you should check your modem and also connect your laptop directly to the modem to see if it improves your speed. You should also make sure your laptop is functioning properly and/or does not have any viruses, trojans, or malware.

Not providing the proper maintenance to your devices (like a vehicle), including rebooting your modem now and then, will also slow your internet speeds.

It is great to see continued advancements in technology on the island (although most visitors enjoy not getting cell reception), but it comes with costs to everyone, including TDS...who by the way, is not required to provide the island with telecommunication services. We are lucky to have what we have and that they continue to work on improving services here.
stardust

TDS

Post by stardust »

"TDS...who by the way, is not required too provide the island with telecommunications services."

I am not quite sure where you got this info from but TDS and Great Lakes Energy both receive grants and funding from the Federal Government as well as State funds to provide service to rural areas. In 1935 the Rural Electric Administration (REA) was created to bring power and telecommunications to Rural areas through out the US.

And If you think AT&T, Verizon, Sprint..... spent million of dollars to build out cell and microwave communication towers on beaver island for 500 people because they were not required too again you are so very wrong
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

Good info. Thanks.
Rob Cole

Post by Rob Cole »

The internet service issue on BI goes beyond tweaking a laptop modem for solutions. Laptops, desktops, and mobile devices all are slowed by inadequate bandwidth and relay. The internet has basically become an essential utility for residents and visitors, and should be treated like one. Utility providers have an obligation to upgrade their infrastructure when it fails to meet the needs of a given region. The fact that the island has been under-served in several areas over the decades doesn't justify the continuation of that situation. Apply consistent pressure to service providers, and we may see improvement. If that fails, maybe it's time to look into the cost of establishing a local ISP.
stardust

chase a dime with a dollar

Post by stardust »

Just to bring the ISP infrastructure to the island would cost in the millions now what would be better is to go to Verizon and make a deal to get the whole island to go with their 4LTE wireless internet plan
Pam Grassmick

Internet in Leelanau County

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Interesting letter in the Northern Expressâ?¦

Internet Connectivity In Leelanau County

My husband and I have been thrilled with our decision to return to northern Michigan, but we have been frustrated with the lack of available high speed internet service in the area.

Earlier this year when I learned of the formation of the Leelanau Peninsula Economic Foundation( LPEF) Technology Committee I jumped at the chance to get involved in helping to develop a broadband plan for our county. I was astonished at hearing stories about students sitting in library parking lots after library hours to finish school assignments because internet was not available at home.

The problem goes beyond the convenience of streaming videos to the necessity of â??keeping upâ?￾ and offering our residents the services we all deserve. Very simply put...Leelanau County is at a disadvantage. Our businesses suffer and our children and residents donâ??t have the advantages others enjoy.

There is a critical survey underway to gather data to build a case for enhanced broadband access for the entire peninsula. The more surveys that are completed the richer the data will be and the stronger the business case will be. The survey can be accessed here: http://connectmycommunity.org/Leelanaupeninsula/

Mary Ann Borton, Lake Leelanau

http://www.northernexpress.com/michigan ... -2016.html
McGrass