Paramedic Job Posting

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie LaFreniere

Paramedic Job Posting

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Has this also been posted on Monster.com ?

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Beaver-Island ... Paramedics
Marie LaFreniere

There have been 40 shares on a Facebook page that I manage. If you do social media, please share on whatever sites you're on.
VickyF

Post by VickyF »

IT has been posted on all of the major career sites.
Marie LaFreniere

Thank you Vicky.

And for those who don't know, St. James Township had a Special Meeting Monday night and voted to contribute $8,000 as their share to keep a paramedic here for the next few weeks. It was also mentioned that Kevin White has received a couple nibbles on the Paramedic job.
PScott

Post by PScott »

Have the townships approved language to put a millage for ESA on the November ballot?
Trish Scott
PScott

Post by PScott »

Have the townships approved language to put a millage for ESA on the November ballot?
Trish Scott
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Is there an estimate for how much money is needed to fund this?
Will the order of magnitude be more like $25 per average homeowner per year or $250 per homeowner per year or ?
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

I attended the St James meeting and what I understand is that the $8,000 allocation was just to cover the paramedic costs for a short time. It was stated that the township has until the middle of August to put a mileage on the November ballot and if passed the funds would start to come in with the December taxes.

The figure of $400/day was mentioned as a representative cost of a paramedic so 400 x 365 = $146,000.

I believe that the EMS Committee is going to work on a budget so that the townships will what level of funding is needed.

Bob Tidmore
26025 Main St.
Beaver Island.
PScott

Post by PScott »

Jeff, A rough estimate of one mill was mentioned at the ESA meeting.
Trish Scott
JT Cain

Post by JT Cain »

I think that the national median income for a paramedic is closer to $40K than $146K, so $100/day plus benefits may be closer to the mark than $400?
AEW

Post by AEW »

AE Wirth
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

We are talking about 24/7 - 365 so those salary numbers are about the same as the estimate given.

Bob Tidmore
26025 Main St.
Beaver Island, MI
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

"JT Cain" writes: I think that the national median income for a paramedic is closer to $40K than $146K, so $100/day plus benefits may be closer to the mark than $400?"

$40K a year for 24/7/365 paramedic cover is $4.56 an hour. I can't even imagine who that person would be.

Thank you Joe Moore for your service.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

We heard from Charlevoix and other northern communities that $400.00 for 24 hrs of work was being passed by township/city boards in order to get qualified paramedic help. Also, the $400.00 does not come with benefits such as health care, dental, and such. Housing is another item not covered. Housing is cheaper during the winter but expensive and hard to obtain during the summer months. The new EMS budget which is under development and expanded job description will be useful information as the island moves forward with providing secure long term ALS services.

Thank you to all the EMS personnel who serve the island residents and visitors!
McGrass
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Beaver Island Friends.
I have been watching the Beaver Island EMS paramedic issue via the forum on this web page for some time and thought I would chime in as someone who provided 24/7/365 service as a sheriffâ??s deputy and as a volunteer first responder/paramedic on the island. The most recent posts seem to elude to getting one paramedic to provide services 24/7/365. I cannot believe that was the intent of those charged with getting suitable candidates. Joe was certainly the exception to this, and I do not know how he did it for all this time even with occasional relief from Bob H. The 24/7/365 could be looked at by many potential hires as being held by a chain in town, no matter how picturesque and laid-back the setting, or how eager they are to get a full-time jobâ?¦always required to be near the EMS vehicles. Even a day trip to the south end could put a medic way out of position to be useful. EMS rules require an ALS ambulance to have a paramedic and an EMT on-board for transport of any patient no matter how serious the matter. We were allowed to â??downgradeâ?￾ our island EMS service on a case by case basis to BLS (Basic Life Support, allowing EMTâ??s and MFRâ??s to provide patient care) with the Bennett Bill exception, and I do not know if that exception is still available. AS far as pay is concerned, during my 11 year tenure on the island, I was compensated the same as a â??mainlandâ?￾ deputy was for 40 hours a week, while I provided 24/7/365 service largely on my own. The Beaver Island community provided my family and I with a nice home/office free of charge which we remain grateful for, BUT the 24/7/365 cannot be sustained by one person. Down time is an absolute necessity. At the very least, the island medic job should be shared by two paramedics, perhaps one on call 24/7 for a week, then a week off while the other provided the 24/7 on-call services. From there, the $146,000.00 looks more realistic when considering wages, workmanâ??s comp expenses, continuing education requirements (that will need to be done off-island if Joe does not maintain his Instructor/Coordinator credentials in retirement), and the like. While I was on the island, all the medics had other jobs that provided their main compensation. Unfortunately that no longer is the case. Is it possible for the Rural Health Center to employ these medics in a medical assistant capacity (for lack of a better title) during the down time to help defray some of the expense? Please do not misunderstand that I do not think the EMTâ??s and the MFRâ??s do a great job and are being overlooked here. All levels are part of the team. A saying in EMS is that paramedics save livesâ?¦EMTâ??s and MFRâ??s save paramedics. Paramedics are needed to provide cardiac rhythm interpretations, administer potentially life-saving medications, and place advanced airways, just to name a few. Things EMTâ??s and MFRâ??s cannot do. The thing our friends who came to visit us on the island enjoyed the most was the â??step back in timeâ?￾â?¦friendly waves from passing cars, community events like Music on the Porch, Homecoming Dinner, and fly-ins. One â??step back in timeâ?￾ Beaver Island does not need is a step back from Advanced Life Support. Please, do all you can to keep it.
Mike Russell