A Message from the EMS Director

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

KAWhite

A Message from the EMS Director

Post by KAWhite »

To the Concerned Residents and Visitors of Beaver Island,

Iâ??ve never posted on the Forum, in fact, I donâ??t very often read it. Itâ??s just not my preferred method of communication. I have, however, read it recently at the urging of a coworker. After reading the posts related to concerns about BIEMS, I felt compelled to say a few things in the hope of dispelling certain pieces of misinformation and hopefully to add some clarification. I should note that this letter was reviewed and approved by the Beaver Island Emergency Services Authority (BIESA), prior to posting.

First, it is true that there is a very strong possibility that BIEMS will be downgrading from Advanced Life Support (ALS) to Basic Life Support (BLS) in the near future. The reasons for this are far too many and detailed to cover here. The short answer is, it is due to a lack of staffing. The differences between ALS and BLS are significant enough that it would not be wise for me to attempt to cover the details of the downgrade here.

Second, in case you donâ??t already know, there will be a 2 p.m. meeting Thursday at the Peaine Township Hall to openly discuss EMS on Beaver Island. I will keep this message short since Iâ??m sure that all that needs to be discussed will be discussed at length at that time.

Third, BIEMS is currently still running ALS. Whether or not we downgrade to BLS, we are not shutting down on Tuesday as one post stated. If and when we downgrade that does not mean that if someone on Beaver Island calls 911, their call will land on deaf ears. BIEMS will still answer the call, however, it will be at a BLS level. That said, even if we downgrade to the BLS level, staffing is and will continue to be an issue. Once again, too many variables to cover here.

Fourth, Island Airways will continue to be our emergency air evacuation service. Downgrading to BLS does not change the fact that this is an island and the fastest way to get a patient to a hospital is using our existing air transport. Island Airways is a contracted extension of BIEMS for good reason and will simply be downgraded to BLS along with our ground ambulances and agency. Also, we will still have North Flight, Valley Med, and The US Coast Guard as backup.

Fifth, if there is a way found to attract paramedics to Beaver Island in the future, BIEMS may reapply for an upgrade back to ALS Certification at that time. I have been assured by the State that the process for this is not difficult. So, the difficult part will not be the paperwork. The difficult part will be, how do we get paramedics and EMTs on Beaver Island, and how important to the people of the island is that?

Last, I would hope that anyone who feels that Beaver Island EMS is an important part of life on Beaver Island will come to the meeting on Thursday and make your thoughts known. I do, however, hope that this meeting does not turn into a venting session against any one individual or organization and that cooler heads prevail. If a solution is to be found at this juncture it will come from those concerned, and those who have concerns, working together and acknowledging that, in order to maintain EMS on Beaver Island, there has to be much more done than has been done.

Sincerely,
Kevin White, Executive Director, Beaver Island EMS
debrob2

BI EMS

Post by debrob2 »

Thank you Kevin White! I agree 100% with your sentiment that people need to come to the meeting with clear heads and a willing spirit to listen, learn and hopefully be a part of the solution to this situation.

I strongly believe that we need to maintain our ALS status but am certainly willing to listen to everyone's ideas and hear the proposed solutions/ideas from the ESA board and EMS.

My two big questions are (in case anyone might want to know in advance):

What progress is being made in finding a paramedic? (job postings, replies, etc...) Or, was the decision made to not look for one and go a different direction? All kinds of stories flying around town on this issue...

And

Can Island Airways (or any local airline) still be our Air Ambulance provider if we do not have a paramedic on board the aircraft?

There are my questions...no surprises from me.

See you there tomorrow.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

This meeting is important to taxpayers and voters to understand the ramifications of the EMS situation which has not been adequately presented to the public in my opinion. I was told the issue was too complicated to be addressed at the Peaine Township meeting last night without Kevin White in attendance. I hope Joe Moore will be videoing so that those off island have a better understanding. In a critical situation, do you want someone to arrive at your house who has the advanced outpatient skills and training to give meds and treatment or hope for the best during your ride to the BIRHC or air transport when time is of the essence? It is time for this long festering situation to be adequately addressed. Please attend and good health to all!
McGrass
Richards

JOB POSTING

Post by Richards »