Eyes on the Roadsides are Needed

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Eyes on the Roadsides are Needed

Post by Pam Grassmick »

While driving, your eyes are needed to protect Showy Ladyslippers along the island's roadways. I encourage people to be on the lookout for those who would remove our island's orchids and report to our deputy (448-2700) or the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (989-732-3541). These plants are a legally protected species and are on Michigan's Threatened Species List. While they are very beautiful, they require extremely specific growing conditions to grow. According to experts, the first year it may only grow as big as a pencil point, taking 14 to 17 years before its first bloom. Many visitors and residents have stopped to take photos and now unfortunately, the orchids are disappearing. Please do not remove orchids from their habitat. Thank you all for your assistance in preserving our natural heritage.
stardust

Flyers

Post by stardust »

Maybe it would be a good idea to put up flyers giving non islanders the heads up on " Look with your eyes not with your hands protected species" at the boat and air ports even a few on the side of the road I would be willing to pitch in on them
Last edited by stardust on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frazray50

Post by frazray50 »

Great idea to post signs. They have signs on Mackinac Island.
stardust

beaver

Post by stardust »

We have had property and a home on the island for 6 years and not once have we gone to Mackinac Island
joddy

Post by joddy »

Someone took some of the lady slippers last year! I have heard that these delicate plants are unable to transplant. So please enjoy these special flowers as they grow on the island ~~ but ~~ PLEASE ~~ DO NOT PICK!