THE MICHIGAN STATE POLICE RESPOND

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

John

THE MICHIGAN STATE POLICE RESPOND

Post by John »

I received a letter on Friday (11/07) from Michigan State Police Captain Tim Rod (Seventh District Headquarters) asking that I call to schedule a time to meet with him and Petoskey Post Commander Aaron Sweeney to discuss the issues I raised in my complaint against the MSP (see sloptownroad.com). That date has not been set, but I expect it will happen before Christmas. During that meeting I'd be happy to convey any points-of-view anyone might haveâ?¦ both from those of you who support Michigan State Police activities and behavior on Beaver Island and those of you who do not. So far all of the comments I have gotten have substantiated the issues I have raised, and I am well aware that these opinions are not universally held. This is your chance to express how you feel, and I encourage you to take the opportunity to do so. If you have something you'd like to say, you can contact me at jcrouse@sloptownroad.com. If you would rather contact Captain Tim C. Rod directly, his address is MSP 7th District Headquarters, 4472 Mount Hope Road, Williamsburg, MI 49690.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

John, I think it goes without saying that the silent majority of the community is fully with you in this endeavour. I, of course, speak with you since this could not be perceived as silent, yet risky!! However, as a man who once watched the Michigan State Police come to Beaver Island in the 1960's I must say that I have never observed the patrol "characteristics"!! that we have seen since they came here in full the past few years. My perception of those who "Preserve and Protect" falls well short of what I have witnessed which follows your complaint!! The MSP should use good sense and not excess muscle to let anyone know they are "about". Sadly, I too have observed the muscle part and not the good sense part. Beaver Island is a gem in the paradise called Michigan, what a shame that it is being used for a "lesson"!!!

Rich
Dave Roop

Agreement!!

Post by Dave Roop »

John, My great distaste for the over done action is, in the State of Michigan as with many other states who are having budget cuts in
just about every department, how can the MSP justify sending four MSP over along with our two deputy's? Hell the homeland security act doesn't have that type of staff per capita!!

l also don't like the way they worked in teams, two in the bar and two on the road and when someone would leave the bar, they would call and alert the two on the road to make the arrest.
l do not condone drunk driving, neither do l condone entrapment.
l was on the island from June till Oct, and l was never threatened in
any way that would require all that law enforcement, it's just a way to waste our tax dollars. If l can do a deposition for your assistance or any thing else let me know.
(Note) l used to manage the Shamrock back in the 80's, there has never been to my knowledge any one injured due to a drunk driver, Good Luck
Dave