Fundraiser Announcement for BI Not for Profit Organization

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Paulina Johnson

Fundraiser Announcement for BI Not for Profit Organization

Post by Paulina Johnson »

We will be conducting a Pet First Aid, CPR & Care class on the island in early May. 10% of tuition money will be donated to a BI NFP to be determined by class attendees. A larger donation is available when you host and provide a facility.

Who Should Take This Course Besides Pet Owners???
Hunters, EMT's, Firefighters, Law Enforcement, Dog Sitters & Walkers, Groomers, Animal Shelter workers and volunteers and anyone who has contact with animals on a regular basis.

This comprehensive, one day workshop covers CPR (3 types, breed dependent), Wound Management, Rescue Breathing, Insect & Snake Bites, Cold & Heat Injuries, Senior Pet Care and so much more.

To find out more and to register visit our website at www.4loveofpets.com today! Class size is limited so please register early.

Group discounts are available and youth groups are encouraged and invited to attend!
Last edited by Paulina Johnson on Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle LaFreniere

Not For Profit?

Post by Michelle LaFreniere »

Just Curious.. What Not For Profit Organization will be benefitted by this? and as much publicity as I have seen on this I have yet to see a cost?
Sam Hanks

Post by Sam Hanks »

Favorite Daughter of Mine,

If you look at Paulina's post again you'll see that she says the Not for Profit Organization will be determined by the class attendees.

Also if you click on their website it shows that the cost of the class is $119.

Now, get back to work!

Your Loving Father
Dan Wardlow

expensive ... and what are the instructors' qualifications?

Post by Dan Wardlow »

What is the training and what are the competencies of these two instructors? You might want to examine the PetTech instructor curriculum:

http://www.pettech.net/instructor_training.html

Looks like they spend more time in their total of 3 days of training on learning how to market themselves than they do on pet first aid. Note that the 10% given back to a local charity is one of the marketing techniques they're taught to use.

Could you learn more from taking a Red Cross first aid class for humans and then applying that to your pet? Hmmmm ...
AEW

Pet CPR good idea but why so costly

Post by AEW »

I think the pet cpr concept is a good idea. Another thought is to ask Jeff Powers if he could provide the training for a lot less. On the topic of animals, I also think that a private community group that raises funds to pay for free spaying and neutering of the many unfixed animals on the Island would be wonderful. (I have a ferrel kitten living under my house that I will catch and get fixed)
Sincerly,
Adam
The happy owner of 5 fixed cats, 2 fixed dogs and one evil parrot.
Paulina Johnson

you are absolutely right in asking about our competencies!

Tammie (my partner) and I have been involved in animal welfare for several years. We are active volunteers and fosters with Northern Lights Sled Dog Rescue. I have also cared for injured and orphaned wildlife ranging from squirrels to cougars with Safe Haven Wildlife Rescue. Our desire and goal is to provide the skills and knowledge necessary to respond in the event of an emergency with companion animals. We have hosted several workshops to date and every student that leaves our class is competent in their abilities (which is why our workshops tend to run long - we will not let anyone leave until we are positive they are comfortable with each and every procedure). A human CPR class is certainly a good idea for all to take but it does not apply to pets with the exception of barrel chested dogs. I agree that too much of our PetTech training was directed towards marketing which is why we work continuously on our skills and teaching technique. Please take the time to visit OUR website and find out more about who we are and what we have to offer. Thank you. :-)

www.4loveofpets.com

the happy owner of
one 2 year old juvenile delinquent husky,
one blind senior husky,
3 obnoxious cats
and foster mom to one sad, rescued husky who is almost defeated by past abuse :cry:
Dan Wardlow

animal rescue is very different than first aid competency

Post by Dan Wardlow »

I've looked at their web pages, and while it's noble that these instructors have been active in animal rescue and welfare, I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable about their first aid *training* if I knew it was more than a day or two at a $1,295.00 seminar they attended. Perhaps if enough people are interested, Jeff might host a training session, or we could find a DVM student from MSU who's specializing in animal emergency medicine.
Paulina Johnson

Dan, I'll put my money where my mouth is - should a class be held on the island I invite you to join us, as my guest. You won't be disappointed!

Have a Safe & Happy New Year!
Paulina
TjD

Red Cross Pet First Aid

Post by TjD »

FYI, Red Cross offers pet first aid classes. I seen on the morning news today a class will be offered sometime in February. I believe it was the Traverse City office. A pet first aide kit is included with the class.