Article on Beaver Island by syndicated writer David Broder

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Ken Taylor

Article on Beaver Island by syndicated writer David Broder

Post by Ken Taylor »

washingtonpost.com
Politics on Beaver Island

By David S. Broder

Sunday, August 22, 2004; Page B07

BEAVER ISLAND, Mich. -- It's turning ugly.

No, not the island itself, this haven in northern Lake Michigan where the Broder grandchildren, who are the fifth-generation beneficiaries of Uriah Hoffman's decision to build a cabin here in 1915, have been playing on the beach, pedaling their bikes to Daddy Frank's ice cream stand and riding at Beth McCafferty's stable these past few weeks.

The water and sand are as inviting as ever and the weather has been fine. But presidential politics has encroached on this idyllic scene in a way I've never seen in the 50-some years I've been coming here.

Some time late last Friday night or early Saturday morning, someone stole the "Bush for President" sign from Bill and Tammy McDonough's yard. Swiping opposition yard signs is a standard tactic in less civilized parts, but this is an island where no one locks the doors at night and people leave the keys in the car when they park and shop or go into the Shamrock for a beer.

Naturally, Billy was upset, and so he has sent off to the mainland for another sign -- "twice as big as the old one."

He has to have one because, frankly, the Bush campaign here needs bolstering as badly as the Cubs need Sammy Sosa to start hitting again.

There are John Kerry signs all over the island -- down near the ferry dock, on the back road behind town and at the foot of driveways leading to cabins in the woods.

I don't know what it means in the larger scheme of things, but the Democrats on Beaver Island think they are on a roll.

It's mostly because of one person -- Mary Stewart Scholl, the gray-haired, 65-year-old proprietor of the Toy Museum, a retail establishment that is the favorite rainy-day haven for families with children. Mary has counters filled with amazing toys and games, and for kids it is heaven.

Even on an island full of characters, Mary Scholl stands out. A talented artist whose watercolors fetch a nice price, she has converted her backyard garden into a place filled with fake Greek statuary, plus a tool shed painted in colors you would never believe could be combined.

She is also a person of decided liberal views. She grew up in Washington, D.C., where her father worked on the Truman-era restoration of the White House, and she regards the current occupants as trespassers on sacred property. Her personal favorite among the Democrats was Dennis Kucinich, but she's an ABB voter -- Anybody But Bush.

Last winter, when Michigan Democrats scheduled caucuses to elect delegates to the national convention, Mary Scholl called the party chairman in Charlevoix, the county seat, to ask where she could vote.

She was told that no plans had been made for a caucus on Beaver Island, "because there are no Democrats there."

Mary knew better. In New Deal days, the permanent residents -- mostly Irish fishing families -- had been overwhelmingly Democratic, but an influx of retirees combined with social issues such as abortion had swelled the ranks of Republicans. In 2000, Bush won Beaver Island over Al Gore, 186 to 173.

Not one to be trifled with, she insisted that the Democrats open a caucus site on the island. The party sent over the papers listing the requirements -- "no steps or stairs to impede the disabled, a big table for campaign literature, etc." -- and Mary said, "I've got just the place" -- her own front porch.

Mary expected maybe 10 or 15 people to show up on Feb. 7. Instead, 54 came "and they stayed for four hours," she said. "They were so excited to discover they weren't alone, that there were so many other Democrats."

That was the start. Kerry won the island caucus, and when he became the de facto nominee a month later, Mary was on the phone to Charlevoix again, demanding a shipment of lawn signs. She called the people who had signed in for the caucus -- and the result is visible everywhere.

The Republicans are not conceding. "We're letting them [the Democrats] have their fun now," Bill McDonough said.

"Come October, you'll see Bush-Cheney signs everywhere."

The president has bracketed Beaver Island, with recent campaign events in Marquette, on the Upper Peninsula north of here, and Traverse City, 50 miles to the south. If this election is as close as it now appears, Karl Rove may have to figure out how to land Air Force One on Beaver Island. Just to offset Mary Scholl. :lol:

davidbroder@washpost.com
cherie

politics on Beaver Island

Post by cherie »

Mr. Taylor, Why is it necessary for someone to brag about who they're voting for? I doubt if it matters to most people who live on or off the Island how big a sign Bill and Tammy McDonough get. :roll:

Have any idea what the need for a BIGGER Sign means? Think about it.

I don't think politics should be dicussed anyhow.

Cherie
Ron

What?

Post by Ron »

Uh, excuse me Cherie, but politics definitely should be discussed in a democracy. Discussion is what keeps democracies alive; and attitudes of apathy or distaste toward debate is what weakens a healthy democratic system. If more people were informed and willing to debate ideas, maybe things wouldn't be so divided in this country today. And maybe the people would have more of a say in how they're governed. It's not only the right of citizens in our system to discuss and debate political ideas, its our duty. Unfortunately, most people seem to feel as you do. Unbelievable...
George Hays

Interesting quote

Post by George Hays »

Re: the Broder article on B.I.--I found Mr. McDonough's quote pretty revealing, in a way. "We're letting them (the Democrats) have their fun now. Come October, you'll see Bush-Cheney signs everywhere."

Well, hey! Ain't it great that The Powers That Be on Beaver Island are actually letting another political party show their support for another presidential candidate? But then, McDonough's comment just shows the arrogance and presumptousness typical of the Republican mind; that is, the mentality that sees opposing political movements as merely people "having fun", no more or less relevant than that. Hm. Maybe Mr. M misses the point of Broder's article: that there's a growing backlash in the nation against the policies and recklessness of the Emperor Bush's reign.

It'll be interesting to see how many Bush/Cheney signs are actually put up on Beaver come October, compared to Kerry/Edwards. Hopefully, all of them will be left intact so as to let folks see just who's voting for whom. Better to know one's neighbor's true colors than not, I guess...
cherie

politics

Post by cherie »

I agree that politics should be discussed but why is it so important to dicuss it here :?

Why does it matter how big someones yard sign is?

I get so tired of all this back stabbing and just plain mean spritted mudslinging coming from both parties? Why can't both sides sit down like two grown adults and discuss things? That's what children are told to do.I guess once you reach adulthood the same rules don't apply anymore.Kerry and Bush should be placed in time out just like a child cause,that's how they're acting. Neither side wants to give.It's either their way or the higway.

That why politics is such a big turnoff for me.

I've seen it happen in the workplace,Families,neighborhoods and such.It seems like no matter where you look there's politics.There are no winners or losers in this game and that's exactly what it is a game.It like two kids telling one another " I bet my daddy can beat your daddy".

Like Kerry asked are we/you any better off than we were 4 years ago.

I don't think so. Did anyone on Beaver Island watch the CNN News where it showed the picture of women and children waliking through a line at a food bank cause their unemployment benefits ran out.?

Has anyone on this forum ever had to explain to their five year old son or daughter why they can never go back to their home? My husband and I had to.Has anyone on this forum ever had to watch their personal belongings including some of their childrens toys being loaded on a moving truck to be sold at a pawn shop? My husband and I have. Has anyone on this forum had to sit and watch your family pets die because, you had no heat in the house.My husband and I have.Have anyone on this forum ever have to tell their children that santa won't be coming this year because, daddy or mommie lost thier jobs? My husband and I have.

Cherie :cry: