An island home of yore...

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

matthew

An island home of yore...

Post by matthew »

Do any of you islanders recognize this house? Is it still standing?

For a time, it was the home of Arthur and Ethel Miller, my great-great grandparents. (I believe it may have overlooked the harbor?)

I'm certain Heaven is just like that.
tomrock

Post by tomrock »

This looks like a house that's along the King's Highway but it's falling down now. I've heard it called the Snake House because supposedly it's full of snakes.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Matthew,

The house is still standing and in great shape. It's on Main Street facing the harbor. The house is currently owned by Bill Hirschey. I'm sure if you were to come to the Island he'd be more than happy for you to stop by and see the house.

My husband Jerry remembers Art and Ethel living there.

Tomrock,

The house you're thinking of was the "Salty" Gallagher house and from what I've been told was a beautiful house in it's day. It's a shame that it's gone to disrepair.
matthew

Post by matthew »

Hi Marie --

I'm glad to hear that. Perhaps someday I will have an opportunity to see it for myself. Who knows when, but Beaver Island is definitely on my list of places to visit... or re-visit... once I've saved some money. (Need any fresh, young teachers on Beaver Island? Didn't think so. :wink: )

My grandma used to talk about the yard being covered with daisies. And looking at that photograph, I feel especially kindred to my great-great grandfather... tall grass underneath a comfy hammock slung between two pine trees... I have the selfsame priorities when it comes to yard work.

Thanks for the reply, and for your help (again)!

-- Matt
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Matt,

If you send me your email address (again) I can send you a photo of how the house looks now. Can't figure out how to get it on the forum.

marieconnaghan@yahoo.com
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

Matt -

I don't remember your great-grandparents (I'm not nearly as old as Jerry, ha!) but I used to mow the grass there when the Roundtrees owned the home.

As for needing teachers here - go back and see the the latest two items. You might find them of interest.

Frank Solle
matthew

Post by matthew »

Hi Frank --

Thanks for the reply. About when did the Roundtrees own it?

I got really excited the other night when Marie alerted me to those postings, as well, but unfortunately for me, my certification is in elementary education. If the island ever needs an elementary school teacher, though, watch me scramble... :-)

-- Matt