Visitor hekp needed

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

buck

Visitor hekp needed

Post by buck »

Hello. My wife put me in charge of planning a get-a-way for us. We enjoy hiking/site seeing and Beaver Island sounds great for that. I think I'd like to get her to try kayaking too and saw that it is offered on the island. Is there some shopping to be found? Where would be a decent place to stay?
Also, I we would be flying ourselves in. Would anyone know which airport might work best? Sorry for all of the questions. Thank you. -buck
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Buck, Just go www.beaverisland.org and you should get the information you need. I just spotted about 6 kayaks under training in the harbor here. If you want motels they are listed on that site, if you want cottage rentals (weekly) you can find them on there too. Good luck. Both airports can handle light planes, one will handle jets up to a Falcon 30 and maybe larger, don't know what you are flying..........
buck

Post by buck »

Thanks G. That is helpful. I am actually trying to get a little more "inside" persepective on what might be the most enjoyable/easiest/friendliest etc.
We have a Piper Lance. Either runway is plenty big. It is just which has transporation available, tie-downs and 100LL fuel. Thanks again for the prompt response and help!
Rachel Teague

Post by Rachel Teague »

Buck,

The Beaver Island Township airport has ample ramp and tie down space available. The airport is attended 7 days a week with 24 hour self serve 100LL. The transit bus is available to get you in town for a nominal fee or a rental car can be delivered to you at the airport. If you have any other questions regarding the airport please feel free to give us a call at 231-448-2750. Hope you can stop by.

Thank you,

Rachel Teague
Beaver Island Airport Manager
buck

Post by buck »

Rachel,

Thanks. That sounds great! We'll see you in about five weeks. - steve buck
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Inland Seas is a business that teaches kayaking in the harbor. Ken Bruland is the instructor and is also a paramedic. He is a very competent instructor and stresses safety first. My husband and I have taken two of his classes and also enjoyed a kayak trip on an inland lake.

I highly recommend taking Ken's classes.

Trish Scott
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Buck,

You got a lot of great advise! As Rich said www.beaverisland.org is designed with visitors in mind. We are also here to answer your questions at (231) 448-2505. Best wishes from Beaver Island.
:D
Chamber of Commerce
buck

Post by buck »

Thanks a million! We're looking forward to the visit! :-)