fishing?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

mcdonaldoutdoors

fishing?

Post by mcdonaldoutdoors »

I am visiting Beaver Island this weekend for the first time. I am a pretty avid fisherman and I would like to fish during my visit. I have no idea what kind of fishing opportunities the Island offers. I know there is the inland lake but I do not have access to a boat other than a Kayak. Are there trout streams or do people fish the shorelines? What species of fish are available? If anyone can offer some info I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

I'm sorry no one has responded! I wish I knew more! There are 5 inland lakes on the Island. I've seen folks fishing on Fox, Font and Lake Genasereth. If you stay at Laurain's Lodge, row boat privileges are included- I think they have boats on all 3 lakes mentioned above.

Lake G has been stocked with walleye for a few years.

Not sure what else I can tell you!

Even if you don't catch much, you will be charmed by the beauty and remoteness of the inland lakes. They are pristine and you may have them to yourself. It is a magical place. We only ask that you don't tell anyone else!

Trish
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I thought someone who fished would have responded by now too, I don't!! I know they have been catching Walleye in Lake G. but maybe thats why they are not responding!! :mrgreen:
Chamber of Commerce

Fishing

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Please see: www.beaverisland.org click Hunting & Fishing. Or give us a call at (231) 448-2505.

Best wishes from Beaver Island :D
Chamber of Commerce
Sean

Post by Sean »

Have not fished there in years!! We used to catch some nice perch in the harbor. Need a boat to get to the sunken cars....Garden Island had some nice small mouth bass...
Sean McDonough

mcdonaldoutdoors

Thanks

Post by mcdonaldoutdoors »

Thanks everybody! I fly out today and I have my fly fishing gear packed. I am going to try the streams out. I'll let you know next week. :D
Sean

Post by Sean »

The streams are not that big. More like creeks. You maybe better off trying the inland lakes.
Sean McDonough

JulyGuy

Insect Factory

Post by JulyGuy »

Fishing would not be fishing without bugs. I'll be there in late July/August and wonder what I should expect. Any tips?
Chamber of Commerce

Fishing

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

A good place to start is Font Lake. It is an "undiscovered" outstanding Large Mouth Bass lake. Bass 3-4 pounds are common. For more: www.beaverisland.org or (231) 448-2505. Best wishes from the Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce. :D