Baroque on Beaver

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

DwightEarly

Post by DwightEarly »

This says it all.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Mr Thomas seems to lack even a basic understanding of tact and decorum. I hope he takes it as well as he dishes it out, and I'm hoping we find out soon.

Pitiful elitist response.
Sue Avery

Post by Sue Avery »

What an utterly rude and demeaning response. I am just shaking my head in disgust. Joe Moore does a fabulous job. He has been sharing events on the island for a long time, and his live-streaming of events have been watched overseas by those who were not able to attend in person. His accuracy to detail is unsurpassed.

Thomas' perception is a pure abomination of reality. It is obvious Thomas does not understand that he is here to share his gift of music with everyone, and we appreciate that fact. Why would he not want to share it with those who cannot attend? Not everyone has the ability or the financing to go watch in person. Joe's request was a small one. This pompous response is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.

I am so tired of seeing people who come from the land of plenty and belittle someone here who is trying to do so much for the community. The tree that we pick our money from dried up many decades ago, unlike the big cities which are blossoming. We all do what we can to live here, and we support each other.

Joe don't give up. We all appreciate what you have done and what you can do for us in the future.

Dave Avery
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

As I sail the Great Lakes and Seven Seas, people tell me there are two sources that keep them connected to Beaver Island in real time year around. One is News On The Net and the other is this forum. News On The Net videography allows people to virtually attend meetings and events on the island from wherever the internet is available. They appreciate being able to see and hear first hand what happened and not have to rely on one person's biased written opinion of alternative facts.
Baroque on Beaver this year was the biggest and best I've experienced. I and hundreds of others applaud the artists and organizers. I wasn't able to attend all performances and very much would appreciate being able to view them on News On The Net at my convenience. I wouldn't have to wait a month for stills and an article. I know hundreds of people off island share my appreciation for the service Joe Moore provides to a grateful following. Thank You Joe!
I would hope the person who started this dispute does not become so high horsed, artsy fartsy that he loses sight of what the true spirit of Beaver Island means.
....and that's how I see Beaver Island and the world today.
:!: :!: :!:
Skull&CrossBones
skasbaum

Unfortunate

Post by skasbaum »

It only takes one person and one misstep to tarnish the reputation of any good and worthwhile organization. I hope that Baroque continues to be part of the island and not something brought to it. That would be an unfortunate evolution.
jamesrhodenhiser@gmail.co

Matthew Thomas is a humble and fallible person doing his job

Post by jamesrhodenhiser@gmail.co »

Dear folks.

Matthew Thomas is a team player and a fine human being.

His reprinted email in the midst of the busy and stressful festival in his role as business manager, had two poorly phrased sentences at the end. His legal obligation to prevent unauthorized broadcast required him to be clear.

I know sometimes when I have too much on my plate, as we all may, may inadvertently contribute to unnecessary upset. Let the one without sin cast the first stone.

Matt has worked very hard to serve, done an outstanding job. He deserves kindness and forgiveness, as does the person he aggrieved, Mr. Moore, as we all do, not name calling.

I invite you to get to know Matt better. Words published in annoyance cause difficulties in relationships that grace and trying again can help us move beyond.

sincerely, james rhodenhiser
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

James, thank you for your response in defense of Matt but unfortunately one only gets one chance to make a first impression. I think the out come will be judged by Matt's publically reaching out for a "second" chance. I would hope the Baroque organization values Beaver Island as much as Beaver Island values the contribution Baroque has made.
Kirk