PLEAE READ... !!!!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Fschoo

PLEAE READ... !!!!

Post by Fschoo »

I'm really sorry for this, but we need to let you know some things.

Patty and I have been blessed since the day we arrived here by the people weâ??ve come to know, and by the friends weâ??ve madeâ?¦ This land (has been) and will always be a beautiful slice of heaven that weâ??ve been blessed to become caretakers of (our property).

From the beginning, Patty and I (for as best as we can) have tried to not interfere with the world you all created before we came here. And weâ??ve always looked forward to seeing you whenever you've come to visit, or even pass by (and always will).

But over the last three years, weâ??ve had to deal with seasonal people who park their cars on the road anytime they want (at times even blocking it so we canâ??t get out) and in many cases get stuck and expect us to haul them out, turn over our phones, or get angry at as if we donâ??t

This has happened over and over again, and recently weâ??ve had to pick up all kinds of trash (on the mile long road, that only I care for)â?¦
And well, it just ainâ??t right and we arenâ??t gonna do this anymore.

So hereâ??s what weâ??re gonna do unless you have a better ideaâ?¦

We will be taking the license plate numbers of all those who park on our road without at least having the courtesy to ask if they can be here.

And for all of you who have loved and honored this land,
you will always have access... But please at least call and let us know youâ??re coming so we donâ??t mistake you for those who donâ??t even care.

Weâ??re willing to listen if you have some other ideasâ?¦ But please understand, we just canâ??t deal with the disrespect of those that expect us to clean up their messes, and babysit their behindsâ?¦

Fred and Patty.
:x
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

Where is this glorious trash filled road?
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Fred, You should contact the township and or the road commission with this as well. If that public land beyond your property needs a parking area they should look into it. Debris, there should be an answer with the township parks employee it would seem, good luck.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

There is no public access through Patty and Fred's property. They have been gracious to allow access for monitoring activity on state held lands to the south. People need to understand and respect private property rights-even on Beaver Island. I'm sorry to hear that it has gotten to this point.
McGrass
stardust

private road

Post by stardust »

If this is a Private Road and does not contain a easement for public access then place No Trespassing No Public Parking signs maybe that might help
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Do you have access to explosives, the kind that remove tree stumps? I find that effective for removing unwanted cars, especially those with people who want to litter paradise. Or, signage that reads: TREASPASSERS WILL BE SHOT, SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN. :roll: :shock: 8)
Skull&CrossBones
Fschoo

HANKS EVERYONE, please read

Post by Fschoo »

Thanks for the response everyone,

Just one thingâ?¦

My understanding is that this has come before the board previously. And the public land beyond us is accessible by foot further to the south. So if the township wanted to put in a parking lot on that land they might have that option. However if they did, I have little doubt the issue of respecting the land would become far worse, injure the property owners, cost the township a tremendous amount, and gain the township little.

All of the property owners bought their land because of its beauty and seclusion. And all of the islanders have loved it for that reason too. We donâ??t want to change thatâ?¦ All we want to do is make sure things remain as they have been. And weâ??re willing to allow people to access state land through our property with our permission.

Over the last five years, Iâ??ve had to spent tons of money, graveled and plowed a mile of road and become gatekeeper because the land owners love it so much here. The way I look at it is once you put a parking lot the land will no longer belong to the island, it will become the property of the tourists and the township will end up paying for it.

We have spoken to the property owners and they agree. We will be putting up the signs shortly

You can come here anytime just give us a call.

P.S. Remember the â??Piping Cloversâ?￾ (Thanks Pam)

Thanks for your help.

Fred and Patty