LOON report

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jacquel

LOON report

Post by jacquel »

Thought I would update you all on the Loon situation on the island.
We had many nesting pairs this year.
Font Lake- had two nesting pairs, each of which hatched out 2 babies.

Barney's Lake- had one pair, one egg was lost in the water, but one baby hatched just last weekend (6/24)

Fox Lake- had a pair. I checked 6/20 and saw no loons on the lake. Not sure what happened there, or if they were really good at hiding from me. There was an osprey circling and a Great Blue Heron, both of which will feast on eggs or young.

Greenes Lake- Checked the lake a couple of weeks ago and saw no loons there this year.

Lake Geneserath- one nesting pair on the south end of the lake.

So...reminder, do not get too close to the loons. If they call, you are too close and please back off. Sometimes, if you just sit quietly and not moving in the boat they will come closer to you. Chicks can be snatched by an eagle or osprey if they become separated from their parents. So try not to be the cause of their deaths.
Harassing or otherwise disturbing loons is against the law. Please report anyone doing so.

Thank you.
hannahconnor39

Post by hannahconnor39 »

There's been one diving around the docks on the harbor for a week now.
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

We still have a pair on Fox Lake, but I have not seen any little ones yet.