I'm With "Please Stop"

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

happycamper

I'm With "Please Stop"

Post by happycamper »

On my way into town this morning, I passed a man walking a dog....with a fistful of Showy Lady Slippers.

I turned around, went back and had a "discussion" with the gentlemen, who pleaded ignorance. I can only hope it was a one-time innocent mistake.

We are so fortunate to have these beautiful flowers growing here, but their existence here is tenuous. Each of us needs to be diligent, watchful, and protectors of these beautiful flowers.

I would love for my grandchildren (and their children) to grow up seeing these beauties. I can only hope that they will still be around for all of us who live and visit here to enjoy.
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

This is not the only occurrence. Another had a Bouquet of them on her car seat that was seen by locals who also gave her a lecture.
Do we need signage now?
PScott

Post by PScott »

Signage would take ignorance out of the equation.
Trish Scott
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

I found the signs that I will be posting by the orchids next year....see the link below......LOL

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
cjones

Post by cjones »

Has there been any thought of posting a camera during the flowering of these beauties or a "Warning: Surveillance Camera In Use"sign with "Protected Species" near the sites? Just a thought.

Cathy Jones
happycamper

Post by happycamper »

Signs will be posted in various locations in town, effective this weekend. Hopefully that will help. I hate to think of people harming them, and picking and/or trying to transplant is, most assuredly, harm.
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

I saw one of the signs at the post office......thank you!
happycamper

Post by happycamper »

Thanks to the Beaver Island Association for the great signs!