Moving to Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

D-Family

Moving to Beaver Island

Post by D-Family »

Hello all, about a month ago I posted on the forum that my family (3 kids, wife) and I were thinking about moving to Beaver Island from the State of Wyoming.

A lot has happened since that post, but I am happy to say that it looks like we will be moving very soon. Tonight is my last night on Beaver Island (I came out Sunday) and I will hopefully be accepting a position with the Beaver Island Boat company.

Upon accepting this position, we would want to move as soon as possible, as I am sure the company will want me to get right to work. However, we do have one dilemma which I am sure you all know, where to live. We would like to rent until Spring giving us time to look for the right place for us to buy. We have found, with quite a few Islanders help over the last couple days, places that will be available in late August or September for good prices when the weekly rental season is over, but if the company wants me to start earlier we will need a 2-3 bedroom place until either those places come available or to just rent throughout the winter.

Possibilities can vary from contract for deed, land contract, renting while someone is selling their house, or many other options. Anyway, I'm sure every resident is aware of the lack of places to rent for new residents in the summer, but I was hoping by posting maybe I would stir some minds, maybe come up with some inventive ideas, or someone would have a place available that may not be advertised.

We are still talking with the company (have another quick meeting tomorrow on the Mainland) but I should know soon when they will expect us to move and start. So while the ideas are floating around, I will also keep anyone interested informed as I come closer to finding out a moving date.

Just a side note, toured the School (we will have 3 children attending), the Island, and have already met many great people from realtors to boat workers to wonderfully warm residents down at the Shamrock. Thank you all for the great visit during this job interview and we can't wait to join your community very soon.

I have a meeting about one possible rental (in the fall) in the morning then will be taking off on the 11:00 ferry.

I apologize that I didn't have time to meet more of you, but I've been on a mission since my arrival getting as much information about everything associated with the move and job as I could. If you would like to meet for a quick chat before I go, I'll be at Dalwhinie Bakery and Deli for a coffee at about 10(ish) wearing an OEF Veteran black ball cap.

Nicholas De Laat
NicholasDeLaat@gmail.com
307-670-2733
PScott

Post by PScott »

Best of luck to you as you move to Beaver Island. It's a wonderful place to call home.
Trish Scott
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

WELCOME! - Great to chat with you. We are here to help.
Steve

:D
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
debrob2

Yeah!

Post by debrob2 »

So happy to hear you will be joining our beautiful Island Community! Please continue to post updates, as we will too, if we hear of possibilities for your family!

Debbie Robert
(We met in my classroom at school! You have my number!)
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Call me at 231-838-2883
burton
D-Family

Thank you, I will contact/call the beginning of next week.

Post by D-Family »

Thank You all.

I will call, contact you as soon as I get back to "Big Sky Country," to which I am flying out today from Michigan, and given the upcoming holiday weekend I will call/write Wednesday/Thursday when everything settles down.

The move is not absolutely final as of yet and we will not have any information on the move for the next week or two, but afterwards things should start moving fairly quickly. I will keep anyone interested updated.

Thank you all!
-Nick-
D-Family

Now we have a date range

Post by D-Family »

We have accepted the job offer and we now have a date range for the move from the State of Wyoming to Beaver Island, which should be around August 10.

I've hesitated really pushing for a rental place until we knew for sure, but now we know for sure. So if there is anyone out there that is willing to rent for the winter/early spring please email me at: NicholasDeLaat@gmail.com or call 307-670-2733

There are a couple people I met while on the island that I will be contacting as well today, but the more the better.

Just FYI: We are a family of 5 (Wife and I, and 3 children ages 14, 9, and 8 ) with a cat and a dog. He is a lab, family dog, and a very good house broken dog of about 11 years of age. He causes zero problems at home, so there should be nothing to worry about. Cat just comes inside to sleep, very good cat as well.

So, whether you or someone you know has a rental for the winter (we want to buy in the spring) please let us know. This will be a crazy month or two, but like I said. We should be out there in about 3 weeks (just in time to get settled in for school) so I thought I'd start moving forward on this subject now.

Thank you.
Nick
D-Family

Bump:

Post by D-Family »

The move is getting closer, Anyone?
DON

Your move

Post by DON »

Hi Nick and Family

Not sure if I can help but I have about 1.5 acres of land for sale that has a new septic system approved and installed along with a 5 inch deep well. The drive way is in and is a rock based graveled drive. The property is only 2 miles from town and is beautiful with hardwood trees, very private, and great location. It is contoured so you could have a walk out basement. A foundation and a modular house would get you going or build your own place.

I also have some storage space available if you need to store some things until you get fully settled. Call me at 231-330-2393. Don
Don Seelye
East Side Dr and Charlevoix
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

What is your price range on a rental?
DON

Post by DON »

The only thing I rent out on the island is storage space in a large metal building. We have some space available for boats, cars, household, etc. Call me if you are interested. 231-330-2393
Don Seelye
East Side Dr and Charlevoix