Giant Hogweed

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Bob Sramek

Giant Hogweed

Post by Bob Sramek »

Can someone please help identify this. Is it Giant Hogweed?
If so, is there an eradication program on Beaver Island for this dangerous invasive? I found it on Island Woods Road. I have posted pictures on my Facebook page, not sure if they can be accessed from here, but I have supplied 2 links.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

Or is it Cow Parsnip?
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

I know this topic was brought up a while ago on this forum, you might want to search it on here. I have cow parsnip in my yard and know that there is some out around Indian Point area but not sure about the other plant.
Linda John

Giant hogweed

Post by Linda John »

Giant hogweed is really giant - larger than cow parsnip. It has bristly hairs and purple splotches on its stem. Touching the plant can cause severe skin irritation and blisters..let's hope we don't have any on the island
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Sheri....I watched the video of the botanist posted on beaver island news explaining the difference between Hogweed and Parsnip.....and i think it is the Parsnip that I saw.

Here is the link:

http://beaverislandnews.com/2015%20July ... rview.html
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Consider posting a notice for the Showy Lady Slipper poachers that if they pick Hogweed and put it in a vase of water it will turn into a Showy Lady Slipper Orchid over night. Or, post a notice by the Showy Lady Slippers, "CAUTION - HOGWEED - PICK AT RISK OF RASH WORST THAN DEATH!". :roll: :D :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

Hi Pirate....I saw your post from a year or 2 ago....about having the Lady Slipper Bandit pick it.....LOL
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Joe Moore from News on the Net worked with Ed and Beth Leuck to produce that video mentioned as we had quite a few reports of Giant Hogweed in the Indian Point area. As of the survey last year, no Giant Hogweed was found on Beaver Island but we do have a healthy population of Cow Parsnips.

Be aware that Wild Parsnips have been documented on McCauley and Hannigan's Roads that can cause blistering if sap comes in contact with skin.
McGrass
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

Thank you Pam.