M/V Emerald Isle anniversary

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

South Shore

M/V Emerald Isle anniversary

Post by South Shore »

Best wishes to the crew of the Emerald Isle, who celebrates the 9th Anniversary of her maiden voyage from Beaver Island to Charlevoix today, December 4th. I still remember standing on the pier waiting for her to peak out from the snow storm. Quite the day-

*Still thinks she should be named Emerald Isle II*
Sean Whelan
Joyce

M/V Emerald Isle Anniversary

Post by Joyce »

So do I!!
BIHS volunteer
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Why, there is no other "Emerald Isle" on the Great Lakes that I am aware of except the one that was sold and renamed after only 7 years at the Beavers and has now been passed by time in service by THE "Emerald Isle"............
South Shore

Post by South Shore »

It's not that another vessel by that name is in service at this time, but more a sign of respect. Emerald Isle I was a very important boat to the island, being the first hull specifically built for the brand new BIBCO. She did make two appearances after being sold, when ATCo loaned her to BIBCO when the Beaver Islander broke down, and the South Shore had not yet arrived. More a matter of acknowledgement and respect to her. She is noted to have retained the name until 1991.
Sean Whelan