Any Astronomers on the island??

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

bryan h

Any Astronomers on the island??

Post by bryan h »

Hello We will be on the island from 7-24 to 7-27 . Is there a good place to set up my astronomy binoculars. to observe the sky??? Wish I could bring my 12 inch scope but not enough room in the car to pack it. It would be great if I could share a scope if anyone has one on the island

Thanks
Bryan
wmarkey

dark skies

Post by wmarkey »

Yes Beaver island has exceptional dark skies, but finding an open area with a full 360 degree view is difficult. The best, I think, is Gull Harbor. It is on the water facing NE around to the SW. The NW horizon is blocked by the treeline and that helps minimize the light from St. James village. Other places include Donegal bay's parking area, Welke airport near PJ's hangar and any open field or big yard you might come across.
"Our problems are man-made,
therefore they can be solved by man."
JFK
megsing3

Stars!

Post by megsing3 »

Hi Bryan, we can share!
Plan for the Meade 4000 ETX, 12 in.
Send a private message or reply post to find me as the date gets closer. Enjoy till then :)
robertg

Post by robertg »

For a North view, I like the Back Beach, perhaps up the trail off Pine Street 100m East of Gallagher.
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher
bryan h

Post by bryan h »

Thanks for the info , as i get closer to the date i will be comeing I will let you know
wmarkey

Post by wmarkey »

Hi Bryan
As I mentioned above Gull Harbor is one of the better locations, but due to the high Lake Michigan water level it is flooded (carwash) and impractical. A search for another site has been ongoing with some success, but can you tell me which side of the Island you are staying. If you're close to town there is a very good all around view location with a 100 yd or so trail to it. Parking is iffy with room for just a few cars, but it is far enough away to protect night vision. Let me know, I would really like to look thru that 12"
JFK
BradG

Post by BradG »

I've used the township airport. It's a nice big open area.
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

Bryan, as it stands now Monday evening looks to be your best bet - clear and calm. While the moon rises late, there's still quite a bit of it visible so that could be an issue. I do some astrophotography and have a few locations that might work for you. You're welcome to call once you've arrived. 2162.
bryan h

Post by bryan h »

Just got on the island Frank no observing tonight to many clouds. Staying at Harbor Veiw. Will try contacting you tomorrow
Thanks
wmarkey

Post by wmarkey »

Would it be possible to meet up at the Socrates Café at the library. 7:00pm?
discuss a location and include anyone
JFK
bryan h

Post by bryan h »

Ok where is this cafe at ????? Never heard of this placd
wmarkey

Post by wmarkey »

Beaver Island Library holds a discussion thing called Socrates Café
Donagal road. In town 7:00 pm
JFK
bryan h

Post by bryan h »

Wmarkey do you ha d a telescope? All i could bring on the boat was my 20X80 binoculars
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

Check pm's :) if you still aren't finding
wmarkey

Post by wmarkey »

Yes, a 4and1/2" Bushnell eguitorial, but I was hoping to set up next to the 12" and check that out. As I mentioned earlier I was at the Library to meet up with you to discuss location but I must have missed you.
If you are here another night perhaps we can get together tomorrow and figure a good spot. Meanwhile tonight, enjoy
JFK