Trail Use

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

patrickH

Trail Use

Post by patrickH »

:idea: I am interested in obtaining information about trail usage on the island. My intention is to establish an interest in BI, among the mountain biking community. The majority of this group is environmentally conscious. Mountain Biking groups have worked successfully with state and federal agencies in developing and maintaining trails through out the state as well as on a national level. I have ridden only a couple of trails on the island but I feel there is great potential on the island for a trail system that would attract riders. This would have a positive impact on the island by generating additional tourist revenue with minimal impact on the island. I am opening this up for discussion to get feedback from island residents and to answer any questions anyone may have in regards to this. Thank you.
Patrick D. Huver
phuver@comcast.net
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

Patrick

I'm am currently a summer visitor to B.I. who hopes to become a resident in less than 3 years. I am very interested in your project. I would be interested in mapping trails and attempting to increase awareness.
Chamber of Commerce

Trails

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Beaver Island Chanber of Commerce
www.beaverisland.org
Steve West
231 448-2505 M-F 9-1
chamber@biip.net

Our web site shows how to order the new 2006 Wojan Cashman map. Trails and forest roads are shown. The forest roads are GREAT for moutain biking. Best wishes from Beaver Island. :D
patrickH

Trail Use

Post by patrickH »

According to the BI Master Plan, the third most important issue was to provide access to public lands to foster recreation opportunity. Included in this is bike trails.
I have a Wojan Cashman map from two years ago, I do not have the new one yet. It is a fantastic map and I encourage anyone who ventures inland to have one of these maps. But I am proposing to take the trail use and access issue to the next level. Existing trails need to be evaluated for bike use to determine the presence of any rider hazards, erosion issues, trail markers, private land encroachment issues, etc.
Patrick D. Huver
phuver@comcast.net
patrickH

Trail Use

Post by patrickH »

I found out that there is a Trails Committee that is part of the Peaine and St. James Township governing body. If anyone has any contact information for this committee I would appreciate it. I also saw a trail map on the Peanie Township web site titled, "Friends of the Trail Map". This may be an indication that there is an additional group tending to trail issues. The map appeared to be designed for hiking.
Patrick D. Huver
phuver@comcast.net
patrickH

Re: Trail Use

Post by patrickH »

I've been visiting the island for 15 years now. I've ridden just about every gravel road and two track. From a mountain biker's perspective, these roads and tracks are so-so. I've ridden some off-road trails and cuts on the island that are more to my liking and the island has a lot of potential for this type of trail known as "single-track". To put the number of "single-track minded" mountain bikers in perspective, The Annual Ice Man Commeth Challenge held in Kalkaska, MI. puts a limit to the number of race entries at 4500. It's an epic mountain bike race. You have to present the competitors with a challenge. Beaver Island has a lot of potential in this regard. A trail system would have to be established to support a challenging race course and like the Iceman, add a seasonal element to the challenge. Build it, and they will come. Make it epic, and you'll have them coming back year after year.
Patrick D. Huver
phuver@comcast.net
megsing3

Re: Trail Use

Post by megsing3 »

Hi Patrick
I, for one, am interested. There is a beaver island bike festival, I recall that at least the first few years of it were a real hit, hopefully still is... Maybe the group that (runs?) the event would be a useful work through.
John Sohacki
jsohacki@gmail.commmm
231-342-twozerozero3

At least to get an idea of what your obstacles would be, or to get best contacts on BI.
Good luck!