A cat named Cowboy

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AEW

A cat named Cowboy

Post by AEW »

In 1998 I moved to Beaver Island with my daughter and we adopted a cat named Sophie. Sophie was this very small little black female but she could hunt better than any cat I've ever seen. She once dragged in a full-grown rabbit into the house that was bigger than she was and brought it to her kittens. She was just a awesome mother to her babies too. She was one tough chick.

Late one fall Sophie ran away and did not come back. That winter was one of the most brutal I remember up on Beaver Island. I think it was 2000-2001. We had massive amounts of snow and extremely cold weather. I assumed Sophie succumbed to the elements, coyotes or birds of prey.

About two years later I stopped by Steve Boyles house to borrow some equipment for a job I was doing. When we went out to his barn out walks this black cat and sure enough it was Sophie. She recognized me and I recognized her even though it's been a couple years. Steve told me that the cat showed up to his house about 2 years ago in winter.

Steve told me he named the cat 'Cowboy' after a friend of his who was in Vietnam with him. (he never bothered checking the sex of the cat). Steve and Cowboy were both Rangers in Vietnam. Steve kept her but never changed her name. She was a girl cat named Cowboy till the end. The real Cowboy was a big black southern man and Steve spoke very fondly of his old Army buddy. Clearly they had the bond of brotherhood that many Vets know well.

I just learned that Cowboy/Sophie passed away last Saturday when I was up on the Island. She had a very good long life. Steve's wife told me he cried a bit when he lost her. I am guessing that some of those tears were for his memories of his long lost friend from Nam too that he has not been able to reconnect with. As a Vet I understand this.

I am glad she found her way to his house that cold winter. She was a sweet but tough cat that got to live a good long life and bring a Nam vet some happiness.

Rest in Peace Cowboy aka Sophie.

In honor of Cowboys memory I ask everyone to consider making a donation to the "Friends of Beaver Island Animal Fund" (the new version of the original Beaver island Animal Fund) and get your pets spayed and neutered. Donations can be made at the hardware store or Andy's Grooming barn.

DOL
AE Wirth
robertg

Post by robertg »

Well said. Thank you. =D>
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

That is a wonderful story! Sorry for your guy's loss.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn