kids

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

MR

Post by MR »

I didn't teach 4-5 kindergarteners, Adam. PreK/K/1/2. Count that. 4 grade levels. One classroom at the same time. Very different developmentally and completely inappropriate.

This just shows how far removed you are from knowing what is actually going on.
Dick and Amy

Post by Dick and Amy »

That was great Joe, a vivid picture of this small society and it's immense challenges. We're hoping that your dedication is emulated by all of the present and future educators that endeaver to educate these many grade levels of students in this small community.
Avandyke

Post by Avandyke »

This isn't exactly on point to the discussion, but it reminded me of a long ago experience. My mother taught kindergarten. She would have to give a few kids at a time reading readiness tests at the end of the year, just about the time I'd get home from college. Rules were much more lax, and several times I got pressed into service to watch the rest of the kids while a few at a time took the tests with my mother. Never before or since have I done anything job related that was as difficult. I would rather face an irritable judge, a snarling opposing counsel, and a forgetful witness all at once than try to keep little kids in order, much less try to teach them anything. And I mean this absolutely sincerely. After realizing how easy my eventual office job was by comparison, I made a vow that teachers would always, always have my vote and my appreciatively paid tax dollars.
Again, don't think anyone is questioning this, so not quite to the point, but with the topic turning to education, wanted to let all those who work with kids know how appreciated you are.
MarissaCrandall

Knowledge is power and......

Post by MarissaCrandall »

Well... You all know me- the one who jumps in when things get interesting.

I went to BICS. I witnessed FIRSTHAND what it was like to be meshed in with other grades. Sometimes great- most times distracting and confusing. You can NOT put 4 different grades in the same room together. It's impossible.

Please, let us look at this from a more direct view. Let's take Connie Boyle- math teacher- Business Education Services and Technology teacher, NHS leader. We are gonna focus on math for just now- as it's the easiest to give examples with.

Let's sayyyy
9th grade- geometry
10th grade- algebra 1
11th grade- algebra 2
12 grade..... Hmm... Functions Statistics and Triginometry.

So you HONESTLY believe that in her 60 minute class. She could teach each group of students their type of math in 15 MINUTES EACH!! Not to MENTION GOD FORBID one of the students needs extra help- NOPE! No time for that- as she would be on a strict schedule to make sure she teaches each lesson plan in 15 minutes!!

That's unrealistic.

I was a teachers aid for two years. Once with Miranda (let's lighten the mood!!! I can call you that now :D ) and once with Debbie. Not only is there tremendous amounts of work, time, and energy that go into being a teacher- but then you have each child.- learning differently (as each IS different) SOOO let's say. Debbie had 7 fifth graders and 5 sixth graders. She not only needs to help each in the areas in which they struggle- but SHE ALSO has to help another whole grade with what they are learning- and struggling with.... In 60 minutes.... And THEN she moves on to another subject!!..... Kids aren't easy.

Debbie had me Kindergarden, 1st, 2nd, partly 3rd and 4th and then again in 5th and 6th.... Luckily I loved her- but can you imagine having the same teacher for 7 years- if you didn't learn well with the ways they taught? GOOD LUCK!

In life we learn one of the most important lessons. And that's that "knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss"

If you know what your talking about -more power to you......if you don't- then maybe don't worry about it..... Find something you DO know.... And just stick with that! :)

But back to the subject at hand-- having exchange students is an AMAZING idea. What an awesome way to get the island recognized and to meet some new people, learn about new cultures, and let the world get to know the islanders, and the way they live (MUCH different from the Boonies- but we'll save that for another day :wink: )
Mojave Bob

Post by Mojave Bob »

Marissa -- I can only say that while the situation at BICS is clearly far from ideal, something pretty good is going on there, if you are an example of its product. You are clearly literate, thoughtful and expressive, and that speaks well of the teachers who poured their efforts into you.
MarissaCrandall

Post by MarissaCrandall »

BICS wasn't always the best...... But the staff did all they could to make it the best it could be. I thank them for that.

Thank you so much for the nice comment. Sometimes people need to open their eyes. It's island life- it's NEVER going to be the same as mainland life. You CHOOSE to live there. You CHOOSE that lifestyle. People need to stop trying to change things and accept that this is how it is. Live it and love it- or leave it! :-)