Possible new Beaver Island Park

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BobTidmore

Possible new Beaver Island Park

Post by BobTidmore »

I understand that at this week St. James Township Board meeting the possibility of someone purchasing the property next to the public marina and then donating it to the Township for a public park will be discussed. What a great thing this would be for the island citizens, summer residents and visitors. It would be a complement to the public swimming beach and would allow the viewing of the marina traffic, the harbor in general and maybe even some fishing from the shore.

For some reason the previous negotiations on this property for a public park were unsuccessful, however I cannot understand why acquiring it for the use and benefit of the public is not in the best interest of the island.

Bob Tidmore
26025 Main Street
Beaver Island
esteger

Post by esteger »

A terrific idea!
dickie

Post by dickie »

Great idea, public space is always a good for residents and visitors. What ever happened to the public park in front of the sheriff's residence?
DICKIE
conanconnor

sounds great

Post by conanconnor »

I think it would be a great addition to our harbor parks and recreational areas.
Last edited by conanconnor on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Conan
BmRice

Post by BmRice »

That would be a fantastic move! I cannot imagine why there would be opposition to this proposal
Dave P.

Post by Dave P. »

BmRice wrote:That would be a fantastic move! I cannot imagine why there would be opposition to this proposal
It's Beaver Island.....give it time.
Dave
conanconnor

Post by conanconnor »

I have been recommending this for years, I hope it happeneds, this could be a great welcoming area for visitors which is badly needed here!
King Conan
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Perhaps it's the part about getting that someone to "pay" for the property and then "give" it to the township is why there may be a slight hang up...
Personally, I never say no when someone else is buying the next round..

Though I haven't had a free lunch in a long time
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin