Lasagna Dinner to Benefit Beaver Island Lighthouse School

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

lmanderson

Lasagna Dinner to Benefit Beaver Island Lighthouse School

Post by lmanderson »

Save the date! The semi-annual Beaver Island Lighthouse School dinner will be on Thursday, December 10th, at the Peane Township Hall, from 5-7. Free-will donation. Can't wait to meet more community members.
mjc3855

Post by mjc3855 »

What are the proceeds used for
robertg

Post by robertg »

Who cares? It's lasagne!
(No, seriously, the Lighthouse kids deserve our support.)
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher
mjc3855

Post by mjc3855 »

Why do they deserve it
dickie

Post by dickie »

The Lighthouse School provides a positive learning environment for student that don't do well in a traditional school. I support their efforts.
Show your support and be at the dinner or donate a couple of bucks to support their cause. thanks
DICKIE
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Mike -
We've been friends for years and will continue that relationship. You have, as well as everyone else, a right to question what the proceeds go for and why we should support the BILS. Keep in mind this is a voluntary contribution to the school who deserve help simply because they are making a contribution to society as a whole and particularly BI. You can't place a value or question on that accomplishment. You can make a choice to support or not and I know you will make the right decision.
(My additional editorial comment moved but not REMOVED) Kirk
Last edited by sbsp on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk
YvonneCrandall

Post by YvonneCrandall »

KIRK :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: are you that bold to post this on a school function [-X THIS SHOULD BE REMOVED. I don't understand you people sometimes ](*,)
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Yvonne - I support anything the Lighthouse School does and love your Emoticons. I might be an anomaly but not that hard to "understand". I have a problem with people who violate the trust placed in them to handle others' money. Not a big fan of mismanaging our tax dollars. :D
Last edited by sbsp on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kirk
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Wishing the Lighthouse School nothing but success with the dinner. :D
Kirk
dickie

Post by dickie »

I contacted one of the teacher at the LightHouse School in regards to how the fund raiser money is spent. The money is used for tooth brushes and paste and other items that the student need. sometimes even popcorn at Saturday movies. Some of these kids have little support from anyone. They can use our help. Hope to see you all at the dinner.
DICKIE
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

In the past there has been a non-meat entree available at these events. Will that continue to be the case with the change of menu?
dickie

Post by dickie »

Good question. The pasta dinner for the Beaver Island Veteran Project will have a non meat sauce. Maybe the school should offer something like that.
DICKIE
mollyresnik

Post by mollyresnik »

I am confused. The LightHouse School did not appear to be operating this past summer/fall? Is it still in business?
dickie

Post by dickie »

In the past the summer program was run by the Youth Employment Training Program. The student worked for pay and took a science class. That program did not happen this summer.
During the school year the school is an alternative education school run by Charlevoix Public Schools. This school is doing the dinner.
DICKIE
sallys

Post by sallys »

The Lighthouse School is awesome and the more lasagna the better!

Sally