Beaver Island Bird Sightings

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Myles & Sally

Post by Myles & Sally »

Loon with baby Lake G southwest corner 3pm
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

I enjoy viewing the posts from those of you submitting bird sightings. There is also an additional site to check. Eric Myers submitted an article for last month's Beaver Beacon on how to use Cornell's eBird/BirdTrax. Birders who are preparing to visit Beaver Island have been accessing the Beaver Island Birding Trail's website to view birds which features the eBird/BirdTrax option. If interested in viewing or submitting Beaver Island birding reports, check out: http://www.beaverislandbirdingtrail.org/birdtrax.html
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

While we were having dinner at the Circle M tonight we saw an Indigo Bunting in the willow tree by the dining room window.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Weekend finds: Two Yellow-billed Cuckoos at Miller's Marsh. A Solitary Sandpiper on the back side of Barney's Lake and two Spotted Sandpiper chicks with Dad near the Fog Horn at the South End.
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Looking for Last Osprey Nest Sighting

Post by Pam Grassmick »

I'm looking for information on the last sighting of the Osprey for state reports. Joe Moore mentioned that about 1 week ago, he saw an adult Osprey on a dead pine tree in Grave's field. We have not seen any activity at the nest site for a week-morning or evening. Normally if the young fledge, they stay around the nest a couple of weeks before taking off. Parents leave first. Any information that you can provide would be appreciated. Were any young in view in the nest? That nest site last year had one Osprey fledge and two the year before. My number in the event that you "don't use the forum" is 448-2314.
Thanks,
Pam
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Snowy Owl Sighting

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Alana Anderson reported a Snowy Owl being sighted at Western Shores last week. Reports are coming through that Snowy Owls are on the move and sighted in Michigan, Wisconsin, and as far south as Illinois. Fun to see such magnificent birds in the area!
McGrass
Avandyke

Post by Avandyke »

That one who came last year around Christmas hung around for quite a while. It was my first one- beautiful to see. I remember Phyllis took a wonderful picture of it.
medic5740

Snowy Owl

Post by medic5740 »

All day today a snowy owl has been hanging out around the Carlisle Road and Kings Highway intersection. First seen on the picnic table of the Donegal Danny's Pub and Stoney Acre Grill today. The owl moved to the power pole at the intersection. Then moved to the top of a parked van behind Stoney Acre. The owl was last seen on top of one of the boats parked out in the field behind the Pub.

Several pictures were take as well as some video. Some were posted on facebook, others are on http://beaverislandnews.com

Joe Moore
robertg

Post by robertg »

One of my students showed a photo of the snowy owl in class Friday...he said it came within a few feet of the car he was riding in.
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

I've been asked what those white bird flocks are in the fields and open areas? The birds are Snow Buntings. Look them up-they are beautiful little birds and will be gone by March.

The harbor has Buffleheads around the public marina and various other ducks to enjoy. In addition to the Mallards, Common Goldeneye, Common Mergansers, White-winged Scoters, and a few Oldsquaws off the north point/Gull Harbor area can be seen. Maybe an occasional Blue-winged Teal?

A reminder that if you walk the Lake Michigan shoreline and find any dead birds, call Jacque LaFreniere to report. So far so good!
E. Naranjo

Golden Eagle

Post by E. Naranjo »

12-04-15 11:24 a.m. Millers Marsh, Extremely Large Golden Eagle perched on top of old beaver lodge!!