Mirco housing

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

stardust

Mirco housing

Post by stardust »

Micro homes are tiny houses, and an exciting new trend in housing options. I feel that if the powers to be on the island were to allow these type of home's to be built in the port of st james it would help with developing of the island.

Increasing property value's,increasing job opportunities and the labor pool, lessening the carbon foot print of new housing on the island. A nice micro home shell can be as low as $4500.00 well with in reach of most people price range. They make great rentals for either seasonal or affordable all year round

Brad

Post by Brad »

I've been looking at these myself and agree that there is great potential to bring more people to the island. It might be a great opportunity for our builders to take advantage of and market here. Maybe in conjunction with super insulation and other energy efficient options. Vacation homes are out of the reach of many, but this would make it affordable for a lot more people. Nicer to look at than a trailer!

Brad
duffer

houses

Post by duffer »

my son levi and i have already built one and can build more, until building codes change its not legal, but 500,000 square foot ones are, i agree on this, generation x has no interest in houses that are wasteful, and un tasteful. yes its a good idea, if you want one contact me at 231 448 3132, ask for duffy. i have a few trailers to build them on.
duffy
stardust

variance

Post by stardust »

This why they make variance's and feel once the township allows one to be built and start enjoying the added tax's then this will start a trend for people whom have bought lots in POS to build.

Once the local new stations pick up the story we may see a revival on the island
conanconnor

build them up

Post by conanconnor »

I built a really basic but nice one the year i graduated highschool. lived in it for a few summers in a row. they are great. mine has heating as well. in the winter time it would stay around 70 inside with the propane heater on low. tiny homes are a great idea and can come in numerous shapes and sizes. may be an answer to our collapsing housing and property market. I plan to build another one eventually. get a nice trailer to build it on and do some more cool stuff with the new one. now that i know more about building.
King Conan
KAWhite

Post by KAWhite »

Applying for a variance is not the answer. You won't get a variance. The local Zoning Ordinance would have to be changed.

When I was the Zoning Administrator a few years ago I tried to get the minimum required square footage lowered to allow projects such as this. The best I could do was lowering the square footage in the Agriculture zone to 400 square feet, and that was a fight.

It would take a concerted effort by many people to petition the Planning Commissions of both townships to precipitate change. I am all for this and would love a tiny home myself, but I don't see it happening on BI. I won't get into the reasons why on this forum. I am, however, willing to help try.
Dick and Amy

Post by Dick and Amy »

You are right Kevin, I fought this battle when first zoning ordinance was being established. Everyone wanted houses to their standard, and to keep land prices where they would promote higher value. The reasons established on this post make a lot of sense; but if this could be made to happen, it could somewhat alleviate the urgent shortage of housing on the island, and also add to the tax base. Changing the zoning laws now, would a bigger chalenge now than it was before; Good luck on this endeavor. I've always been for it 100%.
duffer

houses

Post by duffer »

that was my point also kevin, you can build a place that covers your whole lot, but you can't make something thats fits in, talk about making us consumers! well i for building them, levi and i did a real nice one that he finished its beautiful!
duffy
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Sometime.... in the near future...
I envision a whole area of the island that resembles The Shire, Hundreds of small, tasteful, Hobbit Houses , each unique and as individual as the owner themselves.
I see folks coming from throughout the land just to visit such a unique community.
I see business booming...
and the ferry, now full of passengers, many dressed like Hobbits and Middle Earth folk ...
I even see an annual Middle Earth Convention.... say, the week after the Music Festival and the one before the Baroque Festival!

and then....

I put down that Pipeweed that Gandalf and I have been sharing....
':roll:'
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
stardust

Warm winter

Post by stardust »

With the lack of snow, the new sales of properties I see from the County's list of new property sales, does show a renew interest in the island?? Lets hope we can get the Port of St James Township to rewrite some of the zoning issues and lets get some new Mirco Homes started.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Port St. James, having a covenant that was placed with the property in 1966 or so might be the hardest but yes, the best place for these homes on affordable lots, this could be done in areas at literally have few or no houses on these spur roads and yes, provide affordable housing for would be a tough sell I think but worth looking into! People who want a simple little cabin to get out of the rain and snow could use this type of amendment and it should be done!
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Would love to see a tiny house variance. This would allow for more affordable summer housing and more development on the island. a local campground opened a new section two years ago of tiny house's. These are seasonal spots. It's a HUGE hit. They offer water and electric and septic pump out service.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I agree, who could resist or not afford a "shanty in old shanty town"? :shock: :? :roll: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones