BIRHC SECOND NOTICE!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

E. Naranjo

BIRHC SECOND NOTICE!

Post by E. Naranjo »

Before I inform you of the latest to happen at the Healthcare center I have a short story that I heard a couple of weeks ago at a family reunion in mid - Michigan.

I was sitting at the picnic table talking to the photographer. A lot of our discussion centered around aches, pains and badly needed healthcare. (the kind of stuff you talk about more and more as you start to get old.) The conversation started out with him asking the million dollar question "what are you doing on Beaver Island?" Without hesitating my response was "enjoying my life" This fella went on to tell me about his career choices. For about 8 years or so he worked as an E.M.T. on the south east side of Michigan. He said that he was guilty of putting off a hernia surgery for 9 years. The surgeon actually brought in students to see this extreme case of neglect! After the anesthetic was administered he said the last thing he remembered was a group of people standing around him laughing. He had taken the liberty to get a black marker and write on his lower abdomen "Not this side--> the other side." He said that during his time as an E.M.T. he had seen some pretty outrageous things happen and that mistakes like that happen more often than what I would think. Later the conversation switched to community politics. His knee jerk reaction was "so you guys are no different than the rest of the country". I disagreed, I said that we have a higher probability of working out all of the kinks due to a much smaller and closer community.

While visiting family and closing a chapter on my life in Mid-Michigan I took the opportunity to visit a type of health care service that was recommended by a family member. Long story short, he made a mistake and put me in a much more painful position than I have ever been in in my life. With my truck and trailer scheduled to be on the boat I had no time to sit around and wine. I spent the next 2 days in complete misery trying to get everything aboard. You can ask the crew that day, I was not very happy. On the way back to B.I. my wife called the Health Care Center and spoke with a member of the staff who said I needed to come straight down there as soon as I got off of the boat. Let me tell you, I was ready! The doctor was not able to stay late but I was treated with all of the appropriate medications as well as given advice on what to do and not to do for the next week until I could see the doctor. The next week seemed like one very long, painful and depressing week. The goal was to treat the situation with every available resource, monitor the situation and avoid unneeded and costly transport to the mainland. With that being said, the goal was met. I spoke with the doctor yesterday and he put my mind at rest!

I tell you these things because I have to give credit when and where credit is due. It is more than apparent to me that some things have changed for the better at the BIRHC I know, some of you are probably choking on your toast right now. But it is true. Donna has taken it upon herself to implement several changes within the center. I have seen it and I believe it. I must also add that my attitude going in the door played a huge part on determining what my attitude was like when I exited the building.

In my life a huge obstacle has been removed. I am pleased with the changes that are coming about (slowly but surely) and I do understand that these things do not happen overnight.

Do you see some things on the Island changing for the better? If you do I would love to hear about them!
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Eric thanks for sharing this positive experience, so nice to hear somebody with something good to say. I agree, I think our health center workers continue to try and improve, while also get us better care, it is nice that it is being noticed.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn