Is that a shipwreck?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

vik

Is that a shipwreck?

Post by vik »

On my first and only visit to the Island, I noticed something near Iron Ore Bay. About 200 yards west of the point (where South End Rd. turns north), there looked to be something of a shipwreck on the beach. I did not examine it closely, but it looked like a hull of a wooden ship on the rocky beach from the distance.

Am I correct on my assumption that this is a ship's hull?
Thanx.
guest slacker

Post by guest slacker »

Probably not, unless it's a recent shipwreck. Michigan winters, especially in shallow water, have a habit of crushing wrecks with ice, pushing them into the sand, and dispersing any remaining wreckage. At least according to Ghost Ships, Gales, & Forgotten Tales by Oleszewski.
Anna

Shipwreck at Little Sand Bay

Post by Anna »

If you click on the link you'll see pictures and an article on the Beaver Island website regarding The shipwreck on Little Sand Bay.

I remebered running into this article while crusing this website quite just found it again tonight.

The article talks about Ken Bruland Beaver Island's summertime Kayak instructor who took one of his classes around Luney's Point and found a 100 ft' long shipwreck at the north end of Little Sand Bay. It started on the shore,and lay in only 18 " of water.

If you click on the link below you'll see the article along with some pictures.

http://www.beaverisland.net/Projects/index.htm
Forrest Powers

betsy smith.

Post by Forrest Powers »

The shipwreck in Iron Ore Bay is the wreckage of the Betsy Smith.
vik

Post by vik »

Thank you forrest!
Do you or anyone else have any information on this wreck?

I really didn't get a close look at, although I thought I should. It was getting late that day, and storm clouds were coming in.
Sean

Post by Sean »

This the wreckage you are refering to?
She was hauling iron ore is all I know. I was looking for info a month or so ago. boatnerd.com and a few other sites. I came up empty!! Anyone know what year she went down?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Joyce Bartels

Bessie Smith

Post by Joyce Bartels »

The "wreckage" shown on the cover of the Beaver Beacon is part of the equipment used about 35 years ago by a man attempting to raise the Bessie Smith. The attempt was futile and the equipment abandoned.

The Bessie Smith sunk off Iron Ore Bay in Nov., 1873. source: http://greatlakeshistory.homestead.com/files/s.htm
Rich

Post by Rich »

Some of Jeffs pictures are of the old fill dock at Iron Ore Bay where the train track used to run out for loading logs, others, of course, are of the Betsy Smith.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Nice pics. Thanks for the link with the info. Now I see why there is always divers at the point.
vik

Post by vik »

Excellent pictures! The portion I was referring to was the sand spit to the extreme left of the first picture. Apparently this might have been the ore dock?

I had no idea the wreck was actually south of the spit on the west end of Iron Ore Bay. My wife & I wondered why the waves crashed haphazardly where the wreck actually lies. Interesting stuff to say the least.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Yes the cribbing sticking out from the point was part of the railway, not an ore dock. We did not ship nor receive ore at Beaver Island!!
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Thank you for posting these beautiful photos!
Dick and Amy

Post by Dick and Amy »

Bessie Smith:
You can see her on google earth; just to the west of Iron Ore Bay'"takes a little navigation but can see quite well HULL and to the ENE about 50 yards the only side that is exposed; the other side disappeared about 40 years ago. Probably buried by ice flows.

Bessie Smith: Hull N 45º34'33.5" W 085º35'47.0"

Description Comments (0)
Full Text
The wreckers who have just returned from Lake Michigan report the BESSIE SMITH a total loss at Beaver Island. Two steam pumps of the largest calibre were put on board of her and worked to their utmost capacity, but without avail and the work of raising her was about to be abandoned. As is already known, the BESSIE was a consort vessel to the stmr. J. KELLEY, and owned by the same transportation company. Her carrying capacity was upwards of 1,500 tons, and a the time of going ashore had about that quantity of ore on board. She came out new the present season, and was a staunch built vessel.
Detroit Free Press
November 13, 1873

. . . . .

Barge BESSIE SMITH ashore at Beaver Harbor last fall, has gone to pieces. Cargo of iron ore.
Toronto Globe
April 6, 1874

Schooner BESSIE SMITH.* U. S. No. 2852. Of 723.00 tons. Home port, Erie Pa.
* Reported as lost.
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1880/81

Media Type:
Text
Newspaper
Item Type:
Clippings
Notes:
Reason: aground
Lives: nil
Freight: ore
Remarks: Total loss
Date of Original:
Subject(s):
Schooners
Bessie Smith (Schooner)
Local identifier:
McN.W.15911
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
United States - Michigan - Beaver Island
Latitude: 45.66472
Longitude: -85.55731
Donor:
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Email: walter@maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca
WWW address: http://www.MaritimeHistoryOfTheGreatLakes.ca/

Bessie Smith stats

This is what is posted on the shipwreck history page:

BESSIE SMITH
Other names : none
Official no. : 2852
Type at loss : schooner-barge, wood
Build info : 1873, Bailey Bros, Toledo
Specs : 201x37x17, 723 t.
Date of loss : 1873, Nov (7)
Place of loss : Beaver Island
Lake : Michigan
Type of loss : storm
Loss of life : none mentioned
Carrying : 1,500 t. iron ore
Detail : Soon after leaving Escanaba, her tow steamer J. KELLEY became disabled, and the SMITH raised her sails and towed the steamer back in. She then struck off on her own, but was overtaken by a storm. Picked up by the steamer ANNIE YOUNG, she soon broke loose and was driven ashore. Wreckers put the largest available pumps aboard to try to pump her out, but to no avail. Owner: Shepherd, Henry & Co. As of the end of the season she was still on the beach.