Fairness for Father Jim

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

sbsp

Post by sbsp »

The Island as one, Catholics, Protestants, believers and non believers have collectively spoken to the goodness of Father Jim. I think their messages have also spoken to those who have shamefully driven him from the Island.
Kirk
E. Naranjo

Post by E. Naranjo »

Was he "shamefully driven from the island?" As is the case with most of the island politics / drama, I can only begin to grasp small pieces of what is actually happening. If Jim wanted to stay and preach would he be allowed to do so? :|
asilasun

On the outside, looking in

Post by asilasun »

There have been many topics and posts that I've wanted to comment on over the last several months, some affect me, some don't, and sometimes, I have started to post, but then decided, to restrain myself. I don't know most of the players, the history or the political dynamics of the island- I only know what I read and I try to see all sides presented, but there does seem to be an "us versus them" mentality that pervades everything. This is true of the world at large, but on an island, a small place, it seems that much more magnified. I am a property owner, who was planning to move to the island permanently, in a few years. I am now reconsidering this plan. I'm not afraid of being slighted, bullied or judged, but I can't help but wonder if I want to live some place where it seems that, not only does "it" seep it's way into many facets of life, but isn't put in it's place, either. A community is only as good as it's members, and those that do bully, whether directly or covertly, prevent the community from being a healthy one. I don't know Father Jim, but I do know that other issues affecting the community such as progressive versus stagnate ideas and beliefs, monetary/tax revenue questions, political issues and so on are collectively, problems of the community. I hate to see an individual made to feel that they must leave a place, that they have no other option, but to uproot themselves and begin again because of the behavior of some, ultimately, intolerant and small-minded individuals. I see all of this as sad and unnecessary- wasted energy, that could be spent making the island a better place for everyone. I hope that those who see this kind of behavior, have the bravery to stand up and defend those that are being treated unfairly and unjustly- the world "out here" is different than your world, but ultimately, everywhere, it all comes down to one thing: all of us should do our best, to treat ALL people, the way we would want to be treated. It's that simple.
Bill Schneider

Post by Bill Schneider »

To E. Naranjo:

The Bishop has a duty to protect his priests from abuse, and to consider their physical and mental health. Nobody is forcing him off the island at gunpoint like the Mormons of old. But Father as a human being, and as representative of the Church is entitled to dignity. I know he'd like to stay, but he and many of us, know that this abuse of him must stop, or his stay would be futile. The reason for my first post is to get his friends and others rallied, so that his staying is at least conceivable. What has gone on is shameful, call it what you will.
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

Tomorrow let's also thank the choir and pianist for the lively and up-tempo music. What a great addition to the music culture of Beaver Island.

Bob Tidmore
26025 Main St.
Beaver Island
E. Naranjo

reply to asilasun

Post by E. Naranjo »

Asilasun, I would like to re assure you that this island does indeed hold a place for you. I personally know of many people here that do not get involved in any way, shape or form with any of these issues that you have witnessed over the years. I would give you brief descriptions of the types of people that I am referring to except I believe that they deserve the almost complete anonymity they have chosen for themselves. I sometimes think I should lean more towards being an introvert however, I have a bad habit of wanting to help and sometimes become a bit too involved. One thing is for sure though, it is still possible to live here on Beaver Island in a state of peace, if that is what one desires to do! 8)
duffer

Post by duffer »

loved father jim right from the beginning, he has tried to help some one 9 was close to who needs lots of help always friendly. what i have seen is sad as the island diminishes in any stature the folks come out like a school of pirañas. i have sat back and watched the ugliness come out and wonder why our community is shrinking of so many good folks. my mother always said the more difficult it was to get to know some one the more important the relationship would be. as i watch the rest of the world fall apart lets not let it happen here. there is tar and feathers. ONE SADDENED INDIVIDUAL!
duffy
happy

father jim

Post by happy »

boy, glad to be off beaver island when i learn what a few can do to the good,
happy

Post by happy »

i'd like to ask, who comes to benefit by driving father jim off the island, surely not those who commit this and not those that love him, oh i get it....the same unhappy blokes that always get away with their negative ways,