Ticks & Lyme Disease Presentation 5/18

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Community Center

Ticks & Lyme Disease Presentation 5/18

Post by BI Community Center »

The Beaver Island Community Center...
at the heart of a good community!
Batman

This will be a informative meeting

Post by Batman »

There a lot of questions about ticks . I met Eric a few years ago at the Michigan pest assotation meeting and he surprised me about this pest , This year he addressed the Michigan mosquito convention and I attended . He is a expert on this bug and I would highly recommend attending this meeting ! Beccause public awareness is key to protect the Heath of our selfs and loved ones .
It funny the things I have heard already the one that sticks in my head is how did they get here well no one would intentionally do this , that for sure from what I have seen the birds carry them and that makes a lot of sense if you think about it .
I encorouge all of you to attend .

Ken Hogarth
Hogarths Pest Control
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Good points Butch about the birds, with migration, warmer winters, increased numbers of ticks everywhere, the birds eventually likely brought the ticks here. Here is an article that is over twenty years old that highlights the presence of deer ticks on migratory birds.

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ArticleBirdTicksMain.html
Batman

Great article Jeff

Post by Batman »

Its not not easy being the bearer of bad news !
Pubic awareness is how to protect our selfs and love ones Im a firm believer in it .And no one wants to scare any one Ive been in Business for 20 years and don't believe in scaring people to get Business arm them with the right information so they can make good decision is the smart thing to do and how to keep good customers . Pest go up and down in cycles look at the squirrels !! In my short 25 years in the Pest Business I have seen Asian Beetles , Tent Caterpillars , Pine Seed Beetles Aka "stink Bugs", BED BUGS, Mosquitos come and go, But Im am worried about Ticks and can't tell you enough what a great service Jeff powers has done for this island with this tick thing. Finding them having the courage to say something about it it not easy, and then having to call in the experts to educate the island I have to give My Hats off to Him. So I Know no one wants to hear this but lets Go and listen to these experts and make good decisions look what the island has done with phragmites which are an invasive plant or species that can't hurt any one Beaver Island has lead the State in control. So now lets band together and tackle this bug and any thing else that comes our way because that's the kind of people we are !!!!

Thanks for reading my little rant.

Ken Hogarth
Hogarth's Pest Control
231-264-6060
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I just recieved reports from the first round of ticks I submitted to the Michigan Department of Agriculture for identification. Over the last two years 100% of the ticks found on Beaver Island were Black Legged Deer Ticks, Ixodes scapularis. This underscores the importance of learning more about protecting yourself and your pets from lyme disease.
Ivory54

Post by Ivory54 »

< spam post removed which bumped the thread >
karens

Post by karens »

MAY?
Batman

This was may 2015

Post by Batman »

May 2015 already happened But i do think Erik was coming back in 2016