The Whole World is Watching...

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

John Bolton

The Whole World is Watching...

Post by John Bolton »

Yes, it is a much used slogan... however, in this age of internet communication, instagrams, forums and video phones .. it is true......
Locally...
It seems St. James township's leadership problems (even if it is a mere perception problem) have now reached a point that individuals who have relentlessly kept the issues at the forefront (where they feel it belongs) are now being labeled as the folks who are the real problem....
Classic example of Killing the messenger, rather than address the problems, perceived or not, that are at hand.

PM's are flying everywhere, rumors are that Michigan State investigating agencies are, typically, dragging their feet a bit.
Those who do know, don't want to ....and those who don't know.... can't find out....

As a non eligible to vote Island taxpayer, my only hope is that those who can do the right thing, on all sides of the issues, will do so...and with almost 50,000 views so far on the subject, all players involved should realize that many, many people are watching.

As far as spending anymore taxpayer monies or voting in, once again, yet another millage for any township projects...
I VOTE NO...make them spend what they have now, wisely... not just spend more...
Leadership needs to put their house in order before they can ask for even more taxpayer sacrifice.

How these matters are handled both fiscally and politically, will do much to influence the outside World's view of Beaver Island's sociopolitical and economic future.

As popular jargon goes, "Think the endgame, people!"
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

As I understand it, the vote is for a continuation of the millage. There are no increases. If I could vote, it would be YES.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

To clarify>>
I was speaking in generalities... however,
If I could vote, I would vote to allow the millage to expire......
It would be a strong signal to the Tax Gods that enough is enough.... voters expect better stewardship of the tax allotments that were already granted and since they seem to be having difficulties keeping their records straight...( as I understand it this is the same road fund that was raided in a township cash flow emergency ??)
I stand by my statement "Spend wisely, not more"

again , that is merely my voteless opinion.....
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

The issue of taxation without representation is summed up and as you can see has been a michigan issue for a long time, and it is at the core of the taxation structure in places like Beaver Island.

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/localnew ... ffdc6.html
Darren K.

Post by Darren K. »

"Taxation without representation" is catchy, and yes, being taxed on a home where you do not to live for enough of the year to vote technically is taxation without representation.

But if we're trying to draw a metaphorical connection to the Colonies and King George, it doesn't really hold up. England was taxing the Colonies on what they were doing in the colonies. The colonists had no voice in Parliament back home, and maintained that, as such, the taxes were unfair. I'm sure if a colonist had kept a home or business going in England, he wouldn't have spent too much time complaining about the taxes he continued to pay on said property or business. Living in the Colonies was (probably) his choice, after all.

Sure, there are things like jobs, family, first-homes, winter, etc. that make spending six months and a day (and registering to vote) on the Island impossible or at least inconvenient for many summer residents and weekenders, but the fact is it is a choice. I suspect that part of the reason some of the folks who complain about the taxes they pay on their vacation homes don't make the switch to voting on the Island is that they still want representation wherever else it is that they live and own homes.

You can only vote in one place, and if it is more important to you to have a vote in what goes on in whatever community you call home rather than where you vacation, then God bless. But it is a bit disingenuous to act as though you are being disenfranchised when in fact it is you yourself who choose where you will have a voice and a vote.
stardust

let them eat cake

Post by stardust »

Come on people paying tax is just the cost of doing business. Your born you pay tax's you complain you die. I say let them eat cake