OSPREY

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Dick and Amy

OSPREY

Post by Dick and Amy »

Osprey's are back. Amy
BMcCaw

Boodler Trail.

Post by BMcCaw »

There are many stops on the Birding Trail, what would be the stops on the "Boodler" Trail ?
Brendan McCaw
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Still only one Osprey on the nest. The males usually come back first and are the first to leave in the fall.

Jerry Weinrich is charged with following Osprey with Sergej Postupalsky for the State of Michigan. Jerry said he has been doing Eagle and Osprey surveys for 35 years. He told me last year that Beaver Island is currently the only Great Lakes Island to have an Osprey nest. There were a dozen islands throughout the years that had nests such as Isle Royale, Drummond, Bois Blanc, etc... He mentioned the rise in the number of bald eagles nesting on GL Islands may be a contributing factor to the decrease in nesting Osprey. I asked him what happened to all the young Osprey that left Beaver Island over the years. He laughed and said they probably contributed to the surge of nesting Osprey in SE Michigan. He went on to say that a large number of Osprey seem to have an attraction to radio towers in this area.

Anyway, another interesting fact is that the male Osprey supplies the female with food during incubation and nesting stages.

I find it all very interesting. Maybe we can ask Jerry to come and present next year at a birding event?
McGrass
medic5740

Osprey and loon

Post by medic5740 »

I'd love to hear a presentation on ospreys. Still only one bird around the microwave tower that I have seen.

I did see one loon on Barney's Lake, but I don't know if it is planning on nesting or just visiting. This lake's level is up a bit.

Joe