people

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

duffer

Post by duffer »

thats all i ever wanted was for people here to understand were here to make a difference or we would not have come. this place has all the makings of a great place to either live or vacation. its down falls come from either lack of some vision, or a lack of doing something with that vision. I have run my business with the intensions of making friends one customer at a time. for me, i love my customers, i have boated, camped ,traveled to visit some folks i met here. as the indians say, none of us really own it,(the island) were just passing thru. so lets make every one passing thru or buying want to feel welcome and wants to come back. I THINK THATS CALLED HOSPITALITY!
duffy
E. Naranjo

?

Post by E. Naranjo »

I agree as well that at some point things will change. I also think that each person involved in this drama knows that things will change. Some desire the change and some are afraid. Some think that the sooner change comes the easier it will be to embrace it. Others think that change will completely disrupt their lifestyle. Community = common unity

I believe that the majority of the community is ready to make things better. Except, how do you make the majority understand that they are the majority? Once we understand that we exist we can stand up for ourselves and proceed!
stardust

Post by stardust »

One of the big problems is the island has no true renewable economic Infrastructure, So every time a job comes up and a non islander gets it yes there are sour grapes but the upside is new families come to the island. I just do not understand why there is so much resistance to growth. With growth comes improved services from cell phone and internet carriers( do you really think comcast ,time warrner is going to spend hundred of thousands of dollars for 500 people to get internet and cable. for 29.95 a month. Or is Holiday Inn going to build a hotel on the island. The Answer is NO and not until the resistance to growth ends and a new mentality of the growth begins.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I have been saying for years that a much higher than normal percentage of the economy here are in publicly supported jobs. I am not criticizing, but folks in the public sector do not depend on growth for survival, rather they just depend upon a large enough tax base. The focus is often where could we create a publicly supported job rather than attempting to enhance private sector business and job growth.

We need to have funds available to do like other communites have done as in these examples https://www.patronicity.com/puremichigan, We have got to get the focus off a "job" for someone and on "vitality" in the community

I believe the average split is 85% private, 15% public, here is has got to be skewed tremendously from those numbers here on Beaver Island. And if anything the private sector is shrinking as shops and stores close, construction stalls and less reasons to come to Beaver Island are developed. Not a good trend.
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Whether it's a person, group or community there is a clear path to extinction.

When help begins to hurt.

Appreciation
Anticipation
Expectation
------------------- <---beginning of extinction
Entitlement
Dependency
Paralysis
Extinction

Where do you think Beaver Island finds itself? This will determine where the core group of decision makers/voters will take this community.

If you don't think this could ever happen to Beaver Island I would suggested you're a part of the problem and not the solution. The rest of us will vote with our $$.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

When help begins to hurt.

Appreciation
Anticipation
Expectation
------------------- <---beginning of extinction
Entitlement
](*,) .........................................I have been saying we are right here for a good long time. And I get [-X for saying it. But I know of three long time summer residents who have decided to list their places due to more business as usual
Dependency
Paralysis
Extinction
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

.b
Last edited by K.A. Pike on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duffer

Post by duffer »

this island has thrived on floundering, as jeff powers points out, come with good ideas? and instantly your trying to change the whole place. anyone who ever watched the milagro bean field war knows growth can be stifled. this place needs steady income and steady work. if we were marthas vineyard we would have 12.000 year around folks catering to 60.000 visiting summer folks. if we were saint thomas we would be 60.000 year around serving 100.000 daily that come on cruise ships. BUT WERE NOT. we live very isolated with little going on. sad as it is growth and economic stimulation is what this island needs for everyone, in the 40 years i been coming here there has been a mind set of people wanting to be the last ones to move here? all nice rosy thoughts. all i think most want is a living at best and growth helps with that unless some form of industry is started here, we need to find what will draw people by the week in droves thru the summer. the music fest is a good start. i remember the opposition when the hickory beaver flat tail fest first started. nothing but hippies and long hairs. well they are still coming and i don't think they hurt a thing. people here got to not be afraid of a bump in the night, that bump could just be prosperity. LOVE YOU ALL, AND THATS ONE THING WE SHOULD PROMOTE. THE MOST LOVING COMMUNITY IN AMERICA!!!
duffy