looking for answers

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Back to the Paramedic crisis if we could. Possible "fiscal oversight" has been mentioned on this thread. The new Michigan Emergency Manager Law (MEML) I assume would be a possibility. This new law has taken over financially strapped municipalities within Michigan such as Benton Harbor and Flint. I'm not a fan of the law but it may be an opportunity to have emergency medical care (Paramedic/EMS) on Beaver Island become a priority where the townships appear to be lacking in timely due diligence. My take from the St. James Township meeting is that there are now more questions and concerns than there were answers to what people have been asking to hear from our leaders.
The auditors are meeting here for a reason, it might be a question to have on the agenda as a possible discussion/solution to the Paramedic/EMS crisis.

Kirk
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

only 10,000 plus views...so far
perhaps someone believes is just a lack of interest on the subject......
hence the inattention to providing information..
just sayin...

if you think education is expensive... wait till you have to pay the bill for ignorance
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Ken -
Thank you for the public information on the BIESA meeting on the 15th.

Joe -
Thank you for keeping the public informed with "News on the Net", the news that is timely and trustworthy.
Take some needed time off in retirement and give some thought to running for township board.

All Who Care About What is Happening -
Don't forget the audit meeting with St. James Township on the 16th that Ken posted above. It could be very revealing.

Kirk
medic5740

Emergency Services Meeting Video

Post by medic5740 »

Here is a link to the January 16, 2015, Emergency Services Meeting at Peaine Hall.

http://beaverislandnews.com/2015%20Janu ... eting.html

Provided as a public service of Beaver Island News on the 'Net.

Joe Moore, editor
Beaver Island News on the 'Net
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

I would like to clear up a (potential) misunderstanding.At the recent ESA ( Emergency Services Authority ) mtg , it was said there were two people who had taken classes and exams for their paramedic licence ,but had not yet passed those exams. ( I am paraphrasing a tad...you can see mtg on the link Joe Moore provided ).

It sounded to me like the townships had paid for, supported and encouraged them.

This was not so.

Consider all the classes that WERE provided at no cost in the past. Education and skills obtained and reimbursement paid ( for "going across" expenses ) Where are the majority of those people today? Off island ...out of state in some cases....OR on island , not licensed and not participating in BI EMS .

Now, remember the two who took paramedic classes ? It was at their own expense...we are talking several thousand dollars here ( THOUSANDS PEOPLE!!!), of their own money and loans .That is not adding in time spent NOT earning money in other work, as well as loss of personal and family time.

They certainly weren't paid , supported, nor encouraged by the townships, AND they still ( each) have thousands of dollars to re-pay.

I wanted that cleared up.

thanks
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Overall the ESA meeting appears to be a good start albeit should have been held several months ago and not 60 days before Joe retires. There was good input from several in the audience who seemed to have a greater sense of urgency, showed more concern and had a better understanding of the problem than the townships appeared to show. Hopefully the townships will use the input and expertise that is out there to solve the emergency services/paramedic crisis. The Peaine supervisor made a good point that it will also take money and that the money most likely is already there and it's just a matter of finding it. It appeared that St. James might not share that premise as there was no comment. However, it goes to John Bolton's point, made here on the forum, that the townships should not be asking the taxpayers for a bigger pie but taxpayers should be asking the townships to recut the pie based on public priorities. There seems to be no greater priority crisis facing the Island at this time than a paramedic replacement before all is lost.
Our problems, our solutions, it's a start in the right direction.

Kirk
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

No news must be good news. Paramedic crisis solved? Anyone have the status, update, next step?

Kirk
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

It is a start but the play clock is running down. Thirty days to Joe's well deserved retirement.

Kirk
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Could someone explain the millage situation ?
One third/ two thirds verses full millage
rates (?)

I am at a loss.
Not that it is unusual... :-)
Ben Franklin
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Looking forward to finding out how the paramedic concern has now been resolved. Apparently many of us incorrectly saw it as a "crisis" until the local newspaper dispelled that worry by stating it is only ......."a supposed paramedic crisis"....... Obviously the article was to let us know the sky is not falling and there was no need for anyone to worry or speak out. I'm certain that everyone on Beaver Island who has a concern for emergency medical coverage will now feel completely relieved.
I'll be looking for a full report in next month's edition.

Kirk
bigbuck

Post by bigbuck »

WOW! Over 19,000 views of this thread. Don't forget the meeting today at 2 pm in the Peaine Township Hall. :D
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

A mill here.....a mill there..
After a while it adds up to real money..
Ben Franklin
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

John -
To add insult to injury, don't overlook the 1% tax the township imposes on the taxes we already pay them. A tax on taxes, what would they do in Boston? They should be wearing masks when the tax bills are sent out.
And still no resolution to the paramedic crisis.

Kirk
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

It looks like Mackinaw and St Ignace have come up with an economical solution.

http://www.petoskeynews.com/featured-pn ... d7a0e.html
Terry Frysinger

Post by Terry Frysinger »

Ken Taylor's post stating that "St James and Peaine's Taxable Value have increased 65% and 69% ...in the last ten years" seems in contrast to other posts that claim real property values have been reduced by almost half over that same period of time. I know my personal tax rate reflects the mythical rise in value. Is there any oversight to regulate this apparent fraud? Or, are property values really increasing at that rate?