New West Side Webcam

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

kboyle

New West Side Webcam

Post by kboyle »

Our weather station on Greene's Bay now has a webcam so you can check out conditions on the west side of the island. The view is almost due west, so it should provide some nice sunset snapshots. You can find it at http://www.wunderground.com/personal-we ... E6#history under the webcam tab.
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Whoo hooo! Very, very cool! Thanks so much for sharing
kboyle

Oops

Post by kboyle »

Our router reset itself last evening and I'm having trouble getting the webcam working again. As they say, please stand by. In the meantime the weather station is working....
kboyle

We're back

Post by kboyle »

The configuration problems have been resolved and the west side weather cam is working again. And it has turned into a sunny day. What a nice confluence of events!

For those who might be curious, here's what happened.

1. Our router reset itself (apparently after I set a reserved IP address in its DHCP table for the weather camera).

2. After resetting the router to our IP address scheme (I don't use 192.168.1.x range to which it defaults), the router IP list didn't show the weather cam.

3. Figuring the easiest way to find the cam was to hard reset it (so it would default to DHCP mode and its known failover address), I reset the camera.

4. Here, the story gets complicated. The camera is a Ubiquity AirCAM. It is designed to integrate with monitoring software provided by Ubiquity. The monitoring software recently underwent a substantial upgrade that required a firmware update for the camera. I had originally configured the camera using older firmware and then did the firmware update. The update eliminated some features including a non-default one that allowed a mode of access to the camera that is necessary to allow uploads to Weather Underground. When I did the hard reset, the default was reset (disabling the required mode), and the new firmware interface didn't allow for changing back, so....

5. I downgraded the firmware, corrected the settings and now we are back in business.

Or, if you prefer the short version, it was broken and now it is fixed.
kboyle

Finally...a sunny sunset

Post by kboyle »

Looks like we might actually have a sun sinking into the lake sunset this evening. Checkout www.trilliumhouse.net/lwlh/Beachcam.html where there is weather info with a current webcam shot every minute from sunrise to sunset (so the sunset is there until the next sunrise).
Sharolyn

Chamber site

Post by Sharolyn »

Just a thought...The West Side web cam should be added to the Chamber's visitor page with the other island web cams. I enjoy looking at all of them.
Sharolyn Hunter
caram

Post by caram »

Thank you for sharing your webcam. I read the weather report and look out at the western horizon just about every day.
Chamber of Commerce

Re: Chamber site

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Sharolyn wrote:Just a thought...The West Side web cam should be added to the Chamber's visitor page with the other island web cams. I enjoy looking at all of them.
Good idea! The Chamber would be pleased to add the web cam to our web site if the Boyle family will send permission via email. Chamber@BeaverIsland.org The more beautiful Beaver Island web cams the better. :D
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
kboyle

Link to Webcam

Post by kboyle »

Glad to have you do that, of course. I've sent an email with details.

kcb
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

The Boyle cam is now up on the Beaver Island Visitors Guide www.BeaverIsland.org - THANKS

Here is a direct link to the web cam page.
http://www.beaverisland.org/beaver-island-webcams/

The web cam page is undergoing some redesign for easer use and a better description of each cam location.

:D
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
Sharolyn

perfect

Post by Sharolyn »

thanks for adding it :-)
Sharolyn Hunter
kboyle

Moonset

Post by kboyle »

There's a nice full moon setting on the west side that is showing up nicely on the webcam....
kboyle

Post by kboyle »

Here's neat time lapse video from the Greene's Bay Weathercam from Thursday. Snow in the morning that melts during the day...to a gorgeous sunset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFE0AsYUwKI
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

You can view the webcams on the www.bimf.net site and I will add this one also. It is nice when you can share the island with everyone :) especially those visiting for the first time.
burton