school election

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

duffer

school election

Post by duffer »

Hello, from the SAND BAR! I see the school board elections are coming. as a person who grew up with a father who was a superintendent in michigan 38 years, Belding michigan public schools 27, years and Grant michigan 11. and a mother who taught 40 plus years, belding 36 years and adult literacy at the ionia corrections facility 5 I have stayed out of the political spot light as my kids were in school. I feel some issues that need to be looked at before this election. Its the schools fiscal responsibility to not only ensure kids get a proper education but for the tax paying community to not be paying to much in mills levied. I have had friends look at property here since the economy went bust with hopes of buying a house at a fair price, but the property taxes on second homes here is like paying 2 mortgages. it is the summer tourist who pick up a large portion of our school taxes.When they can't afford to keep their homes then the tax base shrinks. as some one who owns a business here and has seen the exodus of home owners combined with the passing away of some of the elderly summer residences. It has become apparent that for some their children can't afford to inherit the property do to taxes. our schools funding per student is high compared to many other school. yet we have very few students per class, which makes me also wonder why when some kids are are troubled we send them to other schools when they can't seem to get along with the teachers. Is it not also important for the teachers to learn how to deal with those students? Just the teacher to student ratio says yes. its not just the students who are learning here. as we get close to this election I would hope that this community gets it right here because this effects all of us. There is no reason beaver island schools can not be fiscally conservative, very quality education, and a community brought together by doing the right things not just for the school but for the tax payer. if these goals are met we should see growth from a greater education here on this island. award winning while brooming troubled youth to other class rooms and schools makes the school fall short of its better glory. Ill pray that the election, the process and the out come improve community pride for our schools because this does not affect just who,s going to school now, but also the possible growth of this community. Its our children's future not ours and the future of this island that concerns me and how we get there is whats important. Love and lets make a difference. Duffy
duffy
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Duffer -

Very well said. All excellent points I've had concerns about for sometime now. My daughter and son-in-law who are teachers along with my son and daughter-in-law who are financial professionals will never be able to inherit our two Island homes because of the high taxes all second home owners are facing on Beaver Island. Combine this with a declining business base and population here and it is a formula for disaster. I hope the community can come together to turn things around before the population drops below the critical mass that will ultimately cause it to implode.
I don't mean this to be a tale of doom but key indicators are sending us a message. How we read the message and the actions we take will be critical to the Island's survival.

Kirk
Last edited by sbsp on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
duffer

Post by duffer »

i agree i love this place and the people but some times ego,s get in the way of values and common sense. i have worked for big business and know what it takes to work together. it will only work when we work can find common ground. a little give a little take.
duffy
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Ah... TAXES..
The bane of the island's progress. Because there has to be a minimum social structure in any community, Sheriff, fire, roads, school, the tax burden per capita only increases as the population decreases. Simple math. One would think that when the tax burden is shared by new populations then the tax burden, per capita, would inversely decrease.
Back when a lake front property could be purchased for $5000, the 2+% tax base was a non starter. no problem. It took a 2+% rate on the low property values just to keep the lights on. There were only 500 people living here year round. Made sense.
But one day that property was suddenly worth $100,000. Yea!. But wait, my tax value bill just went up by $95,000 bucks. ouch. There were more summer cottages being built every year. The tax base exploded.
About twenty years ago, I figured smarter folks than me would figure out that to keep the island viable and financially attractive to those who do not live here year around, the high tax rate would be amended to reflect the major changes in the skyrocketing property values.
Heck, the money was flowing in and there was still only 500 year round residents on island.
Instead, the island went on a shopping spree...voting themselves all the amenities that mainlanders enjoy and while paying themselves to build the now apparently, urgently needed, upgraded infrastructure. ....except the bill, statistically, was being footed by we non islanders and at a 30+% higher rate than the locals.

I didn't get to vote on any of this.
I have watched three renovations of the municipal airport, though the private one still is going strong without all the public tax support .
I wouldn't have voted in a second fire station (most of the volunteers still have to drive down the East side from town, anyway).
I wouldn't have township monies spent on a mosquito invested park on the back side of Font Lake ( that nobody really visits)
I would have voted for a much more modest new school. It is not the building... it is the teachers and the parents that make the difference.
(We had one/two room school houses here in rural California , right up until the early 1970's )
I would have voted to have only one township... to SAVE MONEY.
I wouldn't have voted for such a big new medical center for only a few thousand possible patients (Doc Christie fixed me up just fine in the old center.)
My vote may not have prevailed and these amenities would possibly still been enacted.

But the point is... I didn't get to vote. I was told to just pay up.
I do. I'm hooked on this place and I pay my part as told. I love it and everyone here (except you, Richie)

However, new folks looking at this island tax situation all realize that there is a major dilemma in that there is taxation without representation and those who are making the decisions, historically, are not keeping the majority of the island property taxpayers in mind.
Duffer is right, the taxes literally do create a second mortgage on your house and so one thinks twice about coming here a few weeks or months out of the year,( at least until you can retire) and paying such a heavy load for the "privilege".

The Beaver Island voting public has voted themselves into a dilemma. Under the assumption that, " Build it and they will come" they have created a situation where their community is no longer competitive enough to draw in more summer residents because of the tax situation they have created.
Over the last ten years, the rest of the country and especially Michigan and the Detroit area which Beaver Island is economically connected, has experienced a major deflationary period. Beaver Island voters decided to ignore that reality and now we are all paying the price with falling housing process, high unemployment and a falling population and ultimately, a falling tax base.
So the school issues are just the tip of the iceberg....

These are my humble opinions, your reality may vary....
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
duffer

Post by duffer »

No doubt I saw this coming also. I also know if your house was bought years ago, old school, they are not affected like the summer owners second homes.where you pay more taxes. I can't image anyone who is homesteaded 30 years ago pay hardly anything even compared to homesteads bought in the 90,s as prices went up. so its easy to see why they vote for all 0f it. taxes based when land was going for back taxes. the dilemma won't fix its self. like you I love this place and the people that make it what it is. Not sure what the solution is but folks are moving away in droves, a few in the last month.
duffy
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

the situation of land going for back taxes ,at least according to the scuttlebutt I hear, may once again become fashionable....an hopefully, avoidable.
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

This was a "perfect storm real estate overheat." It drove up the tax base to a level beyond its real value. The only way for it to eventually be "worth" the inflated value is for the public and private services to Expand their level of services and amenities on the island to attract MORE tourists which eventually become new property owners if, they are drawn to the island. The coffers of public entities became flush with cash, often looking for ways to spend the new money. But unfortunately, as a hallmark example, our marina which should be part of the state online reservation system to allow easy access for potential boaters to visit the island, is difficult to reserve a spot and it sits empty most of the summer.

The ferry boat system although they do a great job, has less runs in the shoulder seasons than they did when they were an entirely private entity, often saying it "doesn't pay" to run the boat on slower days.

I have often wondered how much public money has to be funneled to some of these entities so they can develop a complete grasp of who they are responsible to and exceed the demands of that sector of the population. And that sector is the people who pay the taxes on the local, state and national level to support these public entities.

To grow a private business you have to at times take risks and expand your offerings of products and services even though they are not profitable at the time to fuel the business to thrive into the future. Our public entities don't seem willing to take such risks even though they are utilizing our public dollars to run their operations. There seems to be a disconnect between where the money comes from and why we need to listen to those people first above and beyond those that benefit from the usage of the public funds.

I am glad there are so many choices for the upcoming school board election. At the current highest in the state taxation rate per student our school should be a hallmark institution, offering an outstanding education, turning out high achieving students. This should be the goal of all who win this election to raise the bar of the educational product of the Beaver Island Community Schools way beyond where it has ever been before. A greatly rejuvenated school could then attract new students and their families as was the intent when so much public money was funneled into the school's construction in the first place.
duffer

Post by duffer »

I could agree with that jeff if it was not for the fact the pavers were here this summer and when asked to improve a few of the worst roads, no one wanted it because it would change the old fashioned look, as far as the medical center who designs a new building with 30 foot ceilings for a single floor and why was geo thermal heat not installed huge tax breaks for such and just as you did I moved here to work. I love this place, the schools expanded during one of the biggest down turns in economy and few folks are making what there folks did. I agree with John, some things were rushed into. i do think we needed a better medical center and the schools needed better building. the airport, we were told the funding came from aviation fuel, but know one brings up maintenance of such place. it still boils down to taxes. Few people these days are getting jobs that start with great pay, this is an industrial state and there was a time when a factory worker could own a home here. not any more, its nice to defend the status qoa but I have heard you bitching also. I run a ligament business thats trying to make it on people making less money and it cost at least 20 percent more to do work than the mainland, and my prices are some times cheaper because they could not afford there car. once again were all in this together lets make the most of this vote.yes nice to have services but its come at a cost of residence leaving and selling which makes us like detroit. detritus broke not because of any one politician but because a city that was once 1.9 million people is now down to 800.000 broke asses. Love you all and lets start doing right by the tax payers.
duffy
duffer

Post by duffer »

I also ask why so many people pulled there kids from the school??????
duffy
duffer

Post by duffer »

also to attract for families with kids here you need jobs for those families with which there just aren't. and especially with wages to support living here. most folks here live the pine cone factor. they would just soon make less money for the life style!
duffy
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

The school has its problems and the board election is important but the school is a small part of the Island's critical tax and financial problems. Until all the issues are dealt with, the Island will continue to suffer financial and population loss. Yes we all know how the money was wasted on over building structures with the concept of "build it and they will come" but they aren't coming. The fact is that we are now stuck with the taxes of maintaining those structures with not only zero growth and in some cases loss of business.
Who would want to move to the Island for personal or business reasons with the financial risks that are evident? If we fix the problems, maybe they will come but don't expect that by their coming it will simply fix the problems that are here now. Our problems, our fixes.

Kirk
stardust

It takes a village to create Economic Growth

Post by stardust »

I agree with Kirk the island is in great need of Economic Stimulus if you take a look at Mackinaw Islands Economic profile towards tourism is huge, their venues are full all spring summer and fall with huge community support of course .
The cost to come and stay on the island really puts it out of the price range for average families, , Greater support for festivals. The people who put on the the Music fest do a great job from the staff to the music and for that week the islands economy is booming is there a reason there is not a full time person or persons that search for events in need of a venue? Greater the amount of tourism, Greater the amount on money put in the local economy, more shops would spring up and so on. Enough with Economics 101
The natural beauty of beaver Island just does not cut it in today's ecotourism world.
E. Naranjo

Duffy ask's why people are removing kids from BICS

Post by E. Naranjo »

Duffy, several have asked the question,"why are people pulling kids out of BICS?" I am sure that each individual will have slightly different reasons. Joe Moore has given us an opportunity to tell our story. He has graciously agreed to post the answers to your question on this forum. It should be available very soon! I hope that we will see healthy dialogue on this issue continue. I also am encouraged that people want to speak out on these issues. It is going to take much work to get things back on track. We can do this though! Eric
E. Naranjo

Post by E. Naranjo »

The interview can be found at the news on the net editorial.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

This has been an interesting discussion. I am also a non-resident but home owning taxpayer. My tax bill is larger than I'd like it to be. That said, I cannot begrudge most of the uses of that money. While I agree with some of the complaints about overreach in some of the new buildings. i.e the new air terminal could have been smaller, I don't fully understand the size of the medical center although I assume it is so visiting practitioners would each have their own space which may make it easy to attract them. I wondered about the new fire station but I'd guess that people who sell real-estate at the south end might tell you that it has made it easier to do that.

But, the comments I've heard about school costs do bother me. You cannot compare per/pupil costs on Beaver Island to per/pupil costs on the mainland. Across the country, when a school district gets too small it is merged with a nearby district and the students are bused. For these families this can be painful and inconvenient. But it's possible to travel 45 -60 minutes each way on a bus.

This cannot work here. As a result, we just had a graduating class of (I think) 4 students.

We don't have one-room schoolhouses any more in America. Some people may pine for them the way they pine for the buckboard wagons and outhouses that were their contemporaries. But, they have disappeared because they really don't work as well as people imagined.

The only way to compare the Budgets of schools like Beaver Island is to either compare them to similar small island schools or possibly to compare the cost per class. I think in both cases the cost of educating students on the island would compare favorably.

Jim
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494