news from the net editorial

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

joddy

news from the net editorial

Post by joddy »

1 a
Last edited by joddy on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joddy

Post by joddy »

2a
Last edited by joddy on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crhelmer

What is a coup?

Post by crhelmer »

Here is how I decided. A coup is the sudden and illegal seizure of a government. They followed the proper procedure in order to vote. The vote fell in his favor. Many passionate people did not like this. But just because you do not like the way a vote went it does not make it a coup. There is an election and you get to decide who you want on your Board of Ed that has your views.

Has the editorial's author asked for an interview with Mr. Justice to answer what questions he legally can? And why is that quote not cited so we can see it in context of the whole ? It is skewed at best.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Ok.
Last edited by Trish Scott on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crhelmer

Evalution

Post by crhelmer »

An evaluation was conducted. It was not made public which is the right of the administrator. In my opinion this makes sense given it is his first school year at this job and he wants to insure he has opportunity and the time to improve both himself, as an administrator, and the school as a whole without reactionary bias.

The school board conducted this evaluation and has now made the decision to extend the contract. A three year extension is the standard here in Michigan.
Last edited by crhelmer on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Ok.
Last edited by Trish Scott on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crhelmer

Post by crhelmer »

Where/when was this normal process established? Is there anything in the current policy that can attest to this? Hadn't the previous administrator been there for a number of years and had she ever had her contract questioned?

In my opinion, there is a minority of Islanders that have decided that Mr. Justis has been bad for the school. I have not heard any compelling reason to think that Mr. Justis is unfit for his duties or is damaging to the school. I feel his choices will improve the current education of its students and broaden their horizons. Most of the negative things I hear come from rumor and conjecture, and unless I hear a clear fact driven argument from the source of such rumors they hold no water to me.
joddy

Post by joddy »

3a
Last edited by joddy on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joddy

Post by joddy »

ok
crhelmer

Post by crhelmer »

What knowledge was the board lacking? And your definition of coup is correct however your intention in saying what you did was in the context of coup d'état which I defined above. If your intent was to say it was a successful endeavor on the part of Dana to call for a vote and pass it then you are absolutely right. I do believe however your tone and previous post of the editorial do not lead me, or anyone who reads it, to that inference.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

"Three, the school population has decreased over these same seven months. More island residents are homeschooling their kids. Why is the population going down, and why are these parents removing their children from our school?"

I've heard this rhetorical question asked a whole bunch of different times now. Has anyone actually asked the homeschooling families?
medic5740

Interview offered

Post by medic5740 »

I would be very willing to interview and/or give these parents an opportunity to provide information about this topic. I really do want to know the answers from these families.

If you are interested in providing this information, send me an email at medic5740@gmail.com OR can me at 448-2416.

We can set up a time. I am interested in the reason(s). The BICS that I spent thirty years, and some additional months teaching in, would want to know the answers to all these questions.

Joe Moore, editor
Beaver Island News on the 'Net

P.S. To crhelmer, I have offered Mr. Justis an opportunity to speak once weekly in a "What's going on at BICS" kind of framework, but he has declined to do this. I also asked you about having students do this, and I have not heard back from you either.
crhelmer

Post by crhelmer »

Oops wrong Helmer, you must mean my wife? I believe her seniors did something with you last year? Maybe that was the beacon.

As for him turning down your request for an weekly column, that shouldn't have bearing on you, or anyone for that matter, directly asking him the questions you purpose in your article. I assume he did not turn you away from all possible interviews in the future? But I may be wrong.
medic5740

Questions

Post by medic5740 »

I didn't know which one that I was messaging on this forum. I am more than willing to ask these same questions of Riley Justis if he's willing to meet with me and answer them. So this is an official offer to Mr. Justis to meet with me and answer the questions posed.

I do wonder why the information about what's going on at school is so hard to get, why this information is not coming out from the administrator's office for those that don't have kids in school, and why there is no outreach to provide this information or any information for the community.

I will gladly interview you or your wife or anyone else that wants to get a message out to the community.

Joe Moore
medic5740

Interview with Eric Naranjo

Post by medic5740 »

Mr. Naranjo stopped by today and asked that the video of the interview with him be placed in a public place for all to see. I am happy to do this, and will continue to help those interested in our community school.

http://beaverislandnews.com/2014%20Octo ... ranjo.html

Joe Moore, editor
Beaver Island News on the 'Net