Faster Internet Connections for Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

TD

Post by TD »

For corporate news & stock information google (TDS) or United States Cellular Corp ticker symbol (USM) :P
TD

Post by TD »

TDS Telecom CEO Interview
by: go_tds
Long-Term Sentiment: Strong Buy 01/09/06 01:10 am
Msg: 2621 of 2626

Jim Barr, the CEO of TDS Telecom, was recently interviewed in a Wisconsin paper:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/biz/ind ... 91&ntpid=1

Some key points:
-To remain "nimble", a major re-org is planned in 2006.
-CEO is confident about the company's future, even with cable competition.
-Sees TDS Telecom as moving towards becoming a broadband company vs. just a voice company. Voice is just another application on top of broadband.
-Consolidation of the major telecommunication companies create more niche opportunities for TDS Telecom to take advantage of.
-Jim has reached retirement age(65), but no public retirement plans at this point.
Jeff

Re: Broadband

Post by Jeff »

woodchopper57 wrote:Who provides the cable TV service on the Island? Would it be viable for them to provide high speed, as that is what I have through my cable company?
Interesting question - as far as I know, no one ever seriously pursued it. Utilizing the cable system was mentioned by Wireless first when proposals for the BIIP turnover were requested, but I'm not sure how much (if any) in-depth thought was given to this. In cities I know some prefer dsl because cable is a shared system so it can bog down when heavily loaded, but I doubt this would be a consideration with the number of users on Beaver Island. Currently the cable tv cable doesn't reach very far out of town, but if the TDS dsl project doesn't happen, it would be interesting to revisit the cost of cable equipment plus burying coax to extend the reach compared to dsl 3+ 3+ 3+ miles, and for that matter where wireless/700 wimax/etc is in terms of nlos now.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

BobTidmore

DSL Service on the Island

Post by BobTidmore »

I sent a fax to Congressman Stupak and our State Representative Kevin Elsenheimer asking them to do what they could to encourage TDS to bring DSL to the island. Here are some names and number if you would like to do the same.

Congressman Bart Stupak
2352 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225 4735
(202) 225 4744 â?? Fax
E-mail address
http://www.house.gov/stupak/IMA/issue2.htm

State Representative Kevin Elsenheimer
E-mail Address:
kevinelsenheimer@house.mi.gov

Lansing Office Mailing Address:
S1389 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

Fax: 517-373-1841
Phone: 517-373-0829

The President of TDS and his address is:
Jim Barr
Chief Executive
Telephone and Data Systems, Inc.
30 North LaSalle Street
Suite 400
Chicago, IL 60602
TD

Any News?

Post by TD »

:?: Any news yet out of TDS? common Jeff you must have heard something. This is the single biggest issue facing the Island today.

If TDS doesn't come up with a plan for broad band this year we'll be in for a great game of antenna monopoly. Who wants in? The business planning starts Monday.

Interested party may e-mail me at beaverislandmikado@yahoo.com

good luck to all
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Feb 26, 4:04 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - The use of high-speed Internet services is growing fast in rural America, partly closing the gap between country and city, a survey shows.

Last fall, 24 percent of rural Americans had broadband Internet access at home, more than double the 9 percent rate reported in 2003, according to a survey released Sunday by the Pew Internet and American Life Project.

By comparison, 39 percent of urban and suburban dwellers had broadband last fall, up from 22 percent in 2003.

The main reason for lower rural broadband adoption appears to be availability, the study said. But Pew also noted that country dwellers are on average older, less educated and poorer than urbanites and suburbanites, factors that are associated with lower levels of Internet use.

However, rural Americans who have broadband Internet are almost as likely as others to use it on a given day.

Adding in people who use dial-up or access the Internet only at work, 62 percent of country dwellers use the Internet, compared with 70 percent elsewhere.

Rural Internet users are slightly more likely than others to participate in online education and to download games, and less likely to bank online or buy travel tickets.

The project surveyed 5,262 U.S. adults in September and December last year. The margin of sampling error was 3 percentage points in either direction.

The Pew Internet and American Life Project is funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts. The project studies the social and civic effects of the Internet.
TD

There will be no DSL in 2006

Post by TD »

:cry: I just got off the phone with TDS corporate. When I first asked about DSL they simply said it was not available to the island. After explaining the situation chronicled on this board they did a little checking for me. A call to the regional TDS HQ promted the following reply: "there is no plans for DSL on Beaver Island in 2006" they explained to me that somebody made a statement that should not have been made. It appears TDS DSL was just a rumor or Beaver Island Legend.