Any info. On Russ Green's old vw bus?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

DanVandenheede

Any info. On Russ Green's old vw bus?

Post by DanVandenheede »

20 years ago I bought a 1969 vw bus from Darrel Butler's salvage, you may have seen me running around the island last two weeks with it all restored. We'll on this trip, while visiting Darrel, I ended up buying a 1958 black VW bus from him that was last registered to Captain Green. It was titled in Rus's name in 1972, Darrel says he had it since the early 80s. I am hoping someone has someone background info.- where Green got it from (under some tin pop riveted on the side it says Washtenaw Count board of ..?...), what he did with it, did he cut the plexiglass windows in and why, what resigned it to the junkyard etc. a picture of it's earlier days would be awesome! I have pics of it as it currently sits at Darrel's awaiting arrangements for me to ship it back.

Thanks for whatever you can provide!

Dan Vandenheede
Mary D

Post by Mary D »

Oh the fun we had in that VW! It had no reverse so we had to strategically park, or have a van load of people to push it backwards. I am not sure where Dad got it, but we called it the dollar van because that's how much he paid for it. One of the windows was covered with a piece of plywood. I am quite sure I have some pictures of it somewhere, but it could take me a while to find them!

Mary (Green) Delamater
DanVandenheede

Post by DanVandenheede »

Thanks so much Mary! I am having trouble posting pictures here but if you email me at dvanden@qtm.net I will send you some that I took last week, and if you find any I would love some older ones!

Dan