MAKE A CHANGE!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

MarissaCrandall

MAKE A CHANGE!

Post by MarissaCrandall »

I'm really glad that I took a stand and am able to inform people about somethings that they otherwise probably wouldn't have knownâ?¦. but i just recently looked at how many views my recent post about the school has gotten and its around 2,600â?¦. THATS A LOT! yetâ?¦ there are only 16 commentsâ?¦ 4 being just from me.. and only 10 other individuals throwing there opinions/information/thoughts inâ?¦..

I've made a promise to myself to try my hardest to make a change when change is needed.. I've been informed plenty of times that "you can't always get what you want"(thanks kindly to Jim Campbell) BUT its not about "getting what you want" its about standing up for whats right and trying to make a change in the worldâ?¦.. saying "you can't always get what you want" in this situation is like saying that if you want to help starving people in africa-- YOU CAN'T!!!! 'Cause you can't always get what you wantâ?¦

(I realize that the situation at hand isn't as dramatic as starving people in Africa-- but I'm just making a point)

Why can't more people voice their opinions? Do you HONESTLY think that anything in this world or on this island or JUST in the school district, is going to change if you just sit back and listen instead of standing up and trying to make things right?

Make a change peopleâ?¦.. because if YOU don't try-- who will??
It starts with YOU!

This is a story I read a couple years ago- and every time I come to a situation that I want to help make a difference in- I think of this story- Maybe this too will help to inspire you to make a difference.

"Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said,
'It made a difference for that one.'"--Loren Eiseley

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.â?￾ --Edward Everett Hale
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Marissa, I admire your spunk! It is great that you speak up for what you think is right.

Some of us are a bit shy, some of us are not well-informed enough to express an opinion, some of us avoid confrontations, some have something to lose if they speak up, some are convinced that power is tough to combat, and a lot of people have a very negative view of the forum and anyone who contributes to it.

You have a strong voice and it is good that you express your passion.