Orchards

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

ScottS

Orchards

Post by ScottS »

Can anyone point me to some information on the apple orchards that are on the island? Such as who owns them, some history, if the owners give visitors free reign to pick the apples, if anyone actively tends the orchards, etc.

My parents make an annual visit to the island. I'm an apple-geek-in-training, and last week, my mother brought me back some apples that I've never seen before. Now I'm facinated, and I'm planning a trip up to try to find them, learn more about them, and hopefully get some more if the owners are ok with it.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Scott
Kris S.

apples

Post by Kris S. »

We found some old trees near Protar's Cabin, on the other side of the road. You can (and should) spend a pleasant day apple hunting on the island. I'm sure others will have helpful suggestions as well. Happy hunting!
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin
Kris S.

more apple tips

Post by Kris S. »

Just returned from a weekend on the island, staying on East Side Drive a wee bit south of the Jordan River. Friday was a lovely day and we walked "the big square" (East Side Drive to Hannigan's, to King's Hwy, to McCauleys back to East Side Drive). Found some very nice apples along Hannigan's Road about 1/2 way between East Side Dr. and King's Hwy, on the north side of the road. I'm no heirloom variety expert, but I think the tastiest might have been Snows.

We sure had a nice time!
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin
Kris S.

apples

Post by Kris S. »

bumping this up for the person wondering about apple orchards...