200 Different Deer in One Month

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JFPowers

200 Different Deer in One Month

Post by JFPowers »

We are trying to do a count for DNR Biologist Mark Monroe. He would like us to count 200 DIFFERENT deer over the next few weeks before the fawns drop to help assess how many yearlings and older deer there are. Yearlings at this point are much smaller than the adults. If you could post for us the following as I saw this morning:

Date & Time: 4/24 8:00 am
Deer Adults Seen : 1
Deer Yearlings Seen : 1

Whoever posts the most times will win a free years membership to the wildlife club for themselves or a nonmember friend or relative.

Thanks everyone!

The Beaver Island Wildlife Club
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

You can post here or email me...jacquel@tds.net. Whichever works best for you. Please make sure you put down location and date on your reports to us.
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Date & Time: 4/23 5:30 am
Deer Adults Seen : 1
Deer Yearlings Seen : 1
kbwelter

Post by kbwelter »

Location:King's Hwy: 2 farmer's fields on the west side of the rd, 1 crossing the road
Date and time: 4/24 7:30p
Adults:10
Dave P.

Re: 200 Different Deer in One Month

Post by Dave P. »

JFPowers wrote:We are trying to do a count for DNR Biologist Mark Monroe. He would like us to count 200 DIFFERENT deer over the next few weeks
Do the Island's deer have names or numbers painted on them?

Sorry.... "200 DIFFERENT deer"... just struck me as pretty
funny.

Dave
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Well you see we have a "crack team" pouring over all the data to try and determine if they are "different deer" or the "same deer"being seen over and over again. In case of a disagreement sometimes we have to call in the Beaver Island Pirate for a judgement call. Sometimes looking at things with "one eye" is better than "two" if ya know what I mean.

Anyway last night for example one person reported 23 adult deer and 2 yearlings. Another reported 21 deer and 2 yearlings, but a review of all the data as for time and place revealed these were except for a couple likely the same deer.

It is just one of those things that becomes another activity that you have to make up to help get through what many has been the longest winter on record. Like some people "count sheep" at night to go to sleep, we are counting "different deer" just cuz the DNR guy asked us to help him determine how many fawns from last year as a percentage of the whole herd made it through the winter

:D
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Deer siting:
Date and time: April 25 at noon.
Seen: 8 adults
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Dear Doc, I'm always glad to make judgment calls but there is something else you might want to consider. Something even better than my good eye and that is an eye in the sky. Drone, prices are coming down and quality is going up. Great for wild life counts as well as anti poaching.
How have I become such an expert? A drone has been flying over Whiskey Island every other day for the past year keeping an eye on me. There's a good chance I might down it and if so, it's yours.

Skull&CrossBones
thenomads

Deer at Nomad

Post by thenomads »

I think these are "regulars", maybe even all related biologically! I saw at one time; some in back yard, some in front: 8 adult deer, 3 yearlings. April 25, 2014
Kathy Brouard