Moondance Update

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Robert

Moondance Update

Post by Robert »

The following email is the most recent I've received from Moondance Productions:

"GREETINGS ALL.

Sorry about the delay in returning mail Robert. What I would like would
be
the following.

1) Maybe typically concentrating on one family/couple/group of people
achieving the below.
Arriving on the Island. (on a small boat)
Hunting and fishing
Outside one of the old houses (cutting wood, cooking etc)
Writing letters back home.

2) Lighthouse keeper

The people would have to be appropriated dressed in the period costumes
etc
(maybe there is old photographs, drawing to support)
I'm not sure was it families or couples that arrived on the Island, this
would be more your historical area. Either way we would be looking for a
maximum of five characters. Once again you would be the better judge,
whether we source Islanders or main land persons, e.g drama
society/historical group. Do we want unknown people to the Islanders to
give
a realistic theme when watching this on TV? Regarding our resources, we
are
at the moment on a limited budget, but this will indeed change next
month
when we get our production fees from the broadcasters, so a credit
system
will have to be put in place regarding fees for a temporary period only.

We will be filming all main elements on the 10,11,12,13 & 14 which will
include interviews, reenactments and general Island shots. I hope this
give
you a better idea of our goals. Any other suggestions most welcomed.
Look
forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Shane

Shane Brennan,
Moondance Production."

Again, any feedback or discussion of these questions is welcomed. What do folks think about these re-enactments and how they might best be carried out, with locals, without, etc. Let's hear some ideas here, if you're interested. Thanks,

Robert
Robert

Post by Robert »

Well, that was a stunning amount of feedback from both boards requests were posted on. Yep.
Island Xcon #6643

Wanting to know the Truth.

Post by Island Xcon #6643 »

Hi yes my name is a little Dramatic :D

Will this Movie they want to make, WIll it be on TV. Ever?

When is it going to be made,this year or next.

Will it ever happen. Sounds Fun if it's Realistic.

Looking ok you can Flame me now,or Delete me like allway's. :roll: -- :(
Maureen Abele

Post by Maureen Abele »

It's difficult to respond without knowing more about the overall approach that Moondance intends to take. Does a treatment currently exist? Is there a script? Do they intend to shoot with sound or will the Beaver Island reenactment scenes have music and/or voice-over? If no real acting is involved, the simplest solution may be to bring in people who are frequently involved in reenacting historical events (e.g., Civil War reenactors) and likely to have the props and clothes required.
John

Maureen Abele's Comments

Post by John »

Maureen's idea to use Civil War reenactors makes perfect sense. These people are not just uniformed soldiers. Camp followers of all descriptions are amost always a part of reenactment events, and this includes women. The people who do this are real sticklers for authenticity and detail, particularly in the clothing they wear. The period (1860s) coincides perfectly with the period of Irish immigration to Beaver Island. Interestingly, it was the Irish Brigade that had the reputation of being the Union's fiercest fighters, and their mere presence on the field of battle terrified the Confederate army. It has been said that "when anything absurd, forlorn or desperate was to be attempted, the Irish Brigade was called upon." Find out more by logging onto http://home.earthlink.net/~rggsibiba/html/sib/sib.html. The site is a wealth of information for anyone interested in Irish-american history and culture. It also provides links to Irish Brigade reeanctment groups, which are today some of the most active. These people are often called upon to be in films, and they love to do it.