Egg Lake Seven (Part 2)

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Egg Lake Seven (Part 2)

Post by Gillespie »

Where to start!! Mr. Thomas obviously went to college as he seems to be an accomplished writer. Must have majored in hypocrisy!!! First pargraph he talks about being "forced to deal" with your neighbor on nearly (sic) daily basis. He has options, one is to go somewhere else. The bickering was nothing until shiploads of "know-it-alls" showed up on our shores. He goes on and on with his learned hypothetical situation of a large house full of 1/2 naked MSU students, sounds pretty good to me! :lol: Of course if people are not allowed to walk outside on property that they purchased under the constitutional proviso of the 5th amendment they would not be able to peer into Mr. Thomas house!! That is, until people who know more than any of us who spent a lifetime here (oh jeez, wait a minute Mr. Thomas, I apologize that we have been here 5 generations, perhaps you could brag like that if you had stayed in Pennsylvania where you wouldn't have to deal with these thorny Beaver Island issues)make some new rules for us heathens to follow. It is so encouraging to read on in his letter that environmental protection will likely increase property value..... Finally though he does speak to the truth, there are laws already in place which protect valuable plant and wildlife and natural features. What we need are more to enable complete strangers or totally uneducated people to walk onto your property and tell you what you should do. What a crock!! I have a suggestion for Mr. Thomas, he should apply for the host position of a popular television program, "JACKASS"!!

Now, on to his reference to Egg Lake. When I started work there I had contacted the appropriate local authority as to what could or could not be done because the last thing I was interested in was to harm something or run afoul of the law. Having cleared that hurdle I had no idea that people would take it upon themselves to trespass on private property, conduct an investigation and report this writer to the Corps of Engineers and the Department of Natural Resources, not before contacting myself or the property owner but while I was in Ireland and the property owner was in New Zealand!! Protocol? I don't think so!! Manners? None!! Exonerated?? Completely, but not before it ruined the last 1/2 of my trip for worries that I had actually done something wrong, no, what was wrong is that it had been reported that I dug in the bog and ran machinery through it (oh by the way, that is called a lie)!!

Not one of those "Egg Lake Seven" (which incidentally, Bernie, was a name given by one of the local newspapers in mock comparision to the Chicago Seven) has ever had the decency to admit they did something very wrong and out of order. The most I got was a card asking if we couldn't "just agree to disagree", but her primary concern was being invited to my Christmas party!! What a joke!!

And now for the capper on this one, Mr. Thomas wants to see my tax return!! JACKASS (Oh wait, thats the name of that show again)! What in the name of God (oh he probably doesn't like him either) would my tax return have to do with anything?

I hope this helps those who joined the first "Many Things" thread to understand my position. It is founded totally on the Constitution of the United States of America. All the things that make this country great are being perverted by people who would pervert the Bill of Rights, The 5th Amendment and the perversion of what the 1st amendment and its real intentions were. But there is one thing that I guess I can take comfort in; if Mr. Thomas is for strict regulation of property rights at least I can sleep well knowing that he is all for the Patriot Act!! :roll:

Incidentally folks, no I do not know who he is, he doesn't have a phone or is unlisted nor have I ever heard of him. Again, I apologize for being born here, I didn't mean it! Rich
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Oh, I forgot to respond to Mr. Thomas #1 demand!! "What are the intentions for the area?" Gee, Mr. Thomas, I don't know, I was hired to clean and restore the fields to their long ago lusture when my ancestors used to own the property (sorry that my ancestors used to own the property). Beyond that I truly do not know, many have speculated that a golf course will go there and, if I could get the man to foolishly spend his money, you can bet I would get him to do just that! :idea:
JJ

How the island has changed

Post by JJ »

Give them hell Mr. Gillespie. The Mr. Thomases of the world are trying to impose their vision of the world on Beaver Island. Mr Thomas, I was taught to respect the people and their homes on the island. Especially those who live there year round. My family has been coming to the island for over 40 years. Beaver Island is the special place because of the families that live there and not those of us who visit the island during the summer
BERNIE

Post by BERNIE »

:o OK RICHARD YOU KNOW I HAVE YOUR BACK ON THIS ONE. BOTH JJ AND I HAVE MORE THAN 40 YEARS OF VISITING RIGHTS ON THE ISLAND. I DO NOT PRETEND FOR A MINUTE THAT I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND ALL THE NUANCES OF LIVING ON THE ISLAND YEAR AROUND. EVEN AFTER 40+ YEARS I WILL ALWAYS DEFER TO THE OPINIONS AND CONCERNS OF THE MULTI GENERATIONAL FAMILIES. I LOVE THAT ISLAND DUE TO ITS AMAZING PEOPLE WHO HAVE A RESPECT FOR THE HISTORY AND UNIQUE WAY OF LIFE. IT IS PEOPLE LIKE MR GILLESPIE THAT I CAN TRUST TO STEWARD THE ISLAND WAY OF LIFE SO THAT WE ALL HAVE SOMETHING WONDERFUL TO SHARE WITH OUR CHILDREN AND ALL GENERATIONS TO COME.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Now wait a minute JJ and Bernie. I am not here to imply, in any way, that I have more rights than anyone else. I could argue that living here year round gives one a better sense of what is and is not a flight of fancy or doable but my point is very simple, MIND YOUR BUSINESS, unless you have permission or are duly authorized to mind someones business. If anyone thought that I was trying to "get away with something" when I knew we would be right under the flight path of the local airline they should really examine themselves. There are people here these days, very selfish people who are working on eroding the rights of others for their own benefit, their perfect world. So, please don't add fuel to the fire, keep in mind the island is available to anyone who would care to come here but those people should be reminded of the rights of others!
WiLL

My 2 Cent's Worth ;}

Post by WiLL »

Hi Gillespie i think that was a Great Response/Reply you did!

I think your's make's way more Sence then Thomas Guy did. :roll:

BERNIE, have you ever used your (CAP LOCK) Key, ever on your Key Board!?

Your Post's alway's Hurt my Eye's. 8)
BERNIE

Post by BERNIE »

I NO WAY WAS I IMPLYING RICH THAT YOU KNEW BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE. MY ONLY POINT WAS EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID. IT BASICALLY DOES COME DOWN TO MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. I AM JUST HAPPY TO ENJOY THE ISLAND IN ALL OF ITS GLORY, I FEEL IT IS A PRIVILEDGE AND WOULD NEVER PRESUME TO SECOND GUESS ANY ONE ELSES BUSINESS. MY APOLOGIES IF I GAVE YOU ANY OTHER IMPRESSION OLD FRIEND. BERNIE