Coast Guard Ice Breaker

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Rich

Coast Guard Ice Breaker

Post by Rich »

Petoskey News Review reported tonight that there will be no replacement of the Acacia in Charlevoix after she is decommissioned next year. That means the closest ice breaker will be the new Mackinac out of Cheboygan Mich. There will be ice breakers in Duluth, Minnesota and Port Huron Mich and thats it for the upper Great Lakes!! Ouch!!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Too bad...WILL THE SPRING BREAK OUT OF THE HARBOR BE DELAYED? WHOOPS SORRY FOR YELLING. DARN CAP LOCKS!!
Sean McDonough

South Shore

Ice Breaker

Post by South Shore »

In a sense, the Mackinaw II is a replacement for the Acacia. While she won't be stationed in Charlevoix, Mackinaw II will pick up all the buoy tending work Acacia does; something that the Mackinaw 83 cannot do.

However, the Hollyhock- Port Huron, the Alder - Duluth and Mackinaw II - Cheboygan are not the only cutters. There are four "Bay Class" tugs stationed in the lakes, the two closest being the Biscayne Bay stationed in St. Ignace and the Mobile Bay stationed in Sturgeon Bay (which with it's special barge, can perform buoy tending duties as well).

So while the fleet may be down one vessel, I would suspect that one of the tugs will ably assume ice duties that Acacia has performed in the past.
Sean Whelan
Anna

Found this news article about icebreaker Mackinaw

Post by Anna »

South Shore,
Below is a link I found to a article that appeared in the Detroit News Metro/State on Sat Oct 29,2005 that says that "Senate Oks bill to make icebreaker Mackinaw a museum

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0510/ ... 364887.htm

I can remember as a child watching the icebrakers.

I found another link that shows the inside of the new Mackinaw 2.

Would anyone like to see it cause I'd be happy to post it here.

Anna
South Shore

Post by South Shore »

It will be interesting having both Mackinaws in the same place! From what I understand, most of the Mackinaw 83's permanent mooring has been completed. She will operate along side of her younger sibling for the winter and then be retired in the spring.

Having toured the Juniper class boats (Hollyhock and Alder), I can only imagine what the new Mackinaw has in store technology wise. Should be one marvel of a boat.
Sean Whelan