Beaver Island Club of Grand Rapids meeting September 24th

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Shirley Cole

Beaver Island Club of Grand Rapids meeting September 24th

Post by Shirley Cole »

This is just an open invitation to anyone interested in joining the Beaver Island Club of Grand Rapids. The next meeting will be held on September 23rd at 7pm at our house, 2444 Hall Street SE, Grand Rapids, MI. The BICGR was initially started as a way for Islanders to stay connected by having a party, with any/all proceeds from the party returned to the Beaver Island community for charitable purposes. Next year will be the 40th anniversary of this organization, and we're hoping to keep this tradition alive for another 40 years (at least!). While your interest and attendance is what keeps the party going, more participation in the club is needed to secure its future. So if you live in the GR area (or are looking for a roadtrip) (JULIE GILLESPIE!) ~ then please mark your calendars. I know alot of people have kids going to college around GR or living in the GR area and would ask that you encourage them to attend as well. Fresh ideas and new blood are more than welcome. Thanks for your support ~
Shirley Cole

CORRECTION

Post by Shirley Cole »

SORRY! THE MEETING IS SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 24TH AT 7PM ~ NOT SEPTEMBER 23RD!!!!
jon bouck

Post by jon bouck »

Shirley,
Unfortunately I'll have to miss the meeting on the 24th. I have a wedding to attend. My brother plan to host an opening reception for Beaver Island art at our Gallery on the Friday night before the Sat. night party in FEB. We plan on having most of the artists that have painted at CMU and want to invited Island resident artists to participate as well. We'll need to know the date of the party. This way, we can have an art party on Friday, and attend the Big party on Saturday. I have a Celtic band, with a bagpipe player, lined up for the art opening. Should be fun. JOn Bouck
Beaver Island Royal Watercolor Society
jon bouck

Oops!

Post by jon bouck »

That would be..." My brother and I plan to host an art opening..."
Busy day.
We missed last years party because we had our Grand Opening the same night.
www.tributaryart.net for more information.
Jon Bouck
Shirley Cole

Post by Shirley Cole »

Hi Jon - will let you know the party date as soon as it's confirmed. And for everyone/anyone who hasn't made it to this gallery, please put it on your list! I stopped in a couple of times and there is some really incredible art, as well as sculptures and handcrafted jewelry ~ all at reasonable prices. We may have to coordinate an evening out after the gallery closes - maybe The Black Rose or Quinn & Tuite's! Hope the city finishes that roadwork in front of your place by then! Take care! :)
Shirley Cole

Post by Shirley Cole »

Should clarify - "coordinate a night out after the gallery closes THAT FRIDAY EVENING." Didn't want to make it sound as if the gallery was closing when you just had the grand opening! :roll:
jon bouck

Post by jon bouck »

Sounds great! We also have "Jude's" barber shop with a PBR with every haircut downtown GR. Opened by some Martin folk of B.I. If you saw my picture in the Sept. Beacon you'd notice I don't have much use for barber shops any more. It sounds like a cool place just the same. I've always called PBR my island beer. Tradition. We'll have to pick out some painting[s] for fundraising at the Sat. party. Looks like we'll have a great weekend to look forward to. Art show on Fri. followed with the local Irish pubs...then fun for all Sat. at the annual party.
jon bouck

Post by jon bouck »

Shirley,
Sorry I missed the meeting. Had a wedding to attend. Any details for us? Dates, times, etc.. CMU Grand Rapids is making an event out of our art show for that Friday night. Jim Gillingham will hopefully be able to come down to speak at the gallery.
Jon Bouck
Shirley Cole

Beaver Island Club of Grand Rapids Party 2006

Post by Shirley Cole »

The 40th Annual Beaver Island Club of Grand Rapids Party is scheduled for Saturday night, February 25, 2006, at the Grand Rapids Hilton Hotel on 28th Street. Room rates this year are to be $68. I know there was confusion last year over $65 vs. $69, but that shouldn't happen again. Last year we had almost 300 guests, and this year promises to be even bigger/better than before! In a separate post, I plan to poll for feedback regarding a buffet dinner prior to the party. If there is enough interest, we may have that available for an additional charge (around ten bucks). The BICGR plans to improve this year's party by having a larger, sturdier dance floor and larger drink containers. Instead of drink chips, we'll be switching to drink tickets so there will be no long lines, no limit and no bulky pockets! Being the 40th anniversary, we have some other fun things planned, but you'll just have to be there to find out for yourself! Jon - the night at the gallery sounds great, however, there were a couple of concerns expressed at the meeting. The first thought was that a lot of the people traveling in for the party like to get to the hotel and stay put. Islanders don't like to drive in or around the city, and the thought of trying to navigate their way downtown/find parking/find the gallery might be overwhelming. Perhaps some sort of shuttle can be arranged for those interested? Also, the Hilton is going to book a band (either Irish or classic rock) for Friday night so people can party/dance without having to drive anywhere as DUI's are never fun. So that might impact on your attendance as well re: the "afterglow" ideas. I'm thinking, though, that if you set up a shuttle for Friday night from 7-9pm, where you pick everyone up at the hotel at 7pm, they ride together to the gallery, enjoy the event/music, do a little shopping, then get a ride back to the hotel around 9pm to catch the hotel band, you might get a bigger crowd. Maybe you should create a separate post for feedback on that suggestion. Just a thought ~ anyway ~ we'll get the fliers in the mail sometime after the 1st of the year, and just remember to book your rooms early as it's first come/first serve. Looking forward to another terrific time and hope to see everyone there! :D